There are plenty of ways to fight heartburn, which is a very bothersome digestive imbalance that can cause discomfort and promote other disease over time due to the altered pH. In this article, we’re going to explain the possible causes of heartburn and why it’s best not to overuse antacids. We’ll also share the best ancient and natural remedies to naturally fight heartburn.
The most common causes of heartburn or gastric acid are:
- Poor diet or excess of acidic foods.
- Habitual consumption of medications like aspirin, ibuprofen or oral contraceptives.
- Bad habits.
- Weak digestion.
You can find antacids in pharmacies, and a lot of people also use sodium bicarbonate to alleviate heartburn. You must know that these remedies only improve the problem temporarily and never truly cure it. On the contrary, if you use too many antacids, over time you could drastically alter the acids in your stomach, which could lead to multiple illnesses.
You should also avoid, as much as possible and especially in a crisis of hyperacidity, the following foods:
- Fried foods
- Refined foods
- Industrially baked goods
- Spices like cinnamon, cloves, ginger or pepper
There are certain foods, however, that have the ability to alkalize. They promote digestion or act as natural antacids, such as the following:
- Lemon: in spite of being a citrus fruit and acidic, lemon has a neutralizing effect on acids once it arrives at the stomach. That’s why it is recommended to habitually consume lemon (in moderation), combined with meals and in juices, mixed with water.
- Potatoes: potato is a great natural antacid. Its juice acts perfectly for counteracting stomach burning.
- Millet: millet is the only alkalizing grain, which is why you should consume it more habitually than other grains like rice, wheat, etc.
- Pineapple: pineapple facilitates digestion thanks to its proteolytic enzymes, but you shouldn’t mix it with carbohydrates )(breads, pasta, pastries, rice, etc.). It is the perfect dessert for before or after eating vegetables or salads and meat or fish.
- Cabbage: cabbage helps heal ulcers but there are a lot of people that do not digest it well when raw. Eat it cooked with a pinch of cumin, raw but soaked in a vinaigrette, or even as sauerkraut.
- Pepper: pepper is a solanaceae vegetable that acts as a great gastric toner.
- Grapes: one of the most alkalizing fruits, but you should consume it preferably organic because they contain a lot of pesticides.
- Celery: celery is a wonderful tonic and alkalizing vegetable. Add it to soups and stews, but you could also eat it raw in salads.
Although these foods are especially recommended, there are some people that do not tolerate them well. If you feel like any of these foods give you heartburn, you should eliminate them from your diet.
Another diet-based remedy for alleviating heartburn in a moment of crisis consists of consuming just three vegetables for three days: potatoes, cabbage and carrots. If you would like, and the season allows it, you could also add another vegetable that feels good for you. You could also consume apples in different forms: boiled, baked, raw or blended.
Potato and olive oil juice
In the past it was recommended to spend ninety days drinking a juice concoction prepared from one quarter of a large, raw potato, well washed and peeled (approximately one quarter or one third of a glass) mixed with two heaping spoonfuls of extra-virgin olive oil. This anti-inflammatory and alkalizing preparation is very effective and you will notice improvement after just nine days.
You can make raw potato juice by yourself or you could buy it in diet or herb stores.
Another natural antacid that you could consume without damaging your body is orally administered white clay. This is sold in diet or herb stores. Mix one teaspoon of clay with water, and mix using a wooden spoon. Mix once against after 10 minutes and drink the concoction.
Sodium bicarbonate water
One very pleasant way of vanishing heartburn from the body consists of drinking sodium bicarbonate water and bathing in thermal bicarbonate water. Each spa has some sort of water with concrete characteristics, which is why you should check to see which ones are bicarbonated. Sea water is also alkalizing.