Rosemary Oil for Smooth and Radiant Hair
Rosemary oil fortifies the hair follicle and prevents hair loss. Since it's a pretty powerful extract, we recommend mixing it with a secondary oil before application.
To really make your dark hair shine, there’s no need to spend massive amounts of money on chemical treatments that in the long-term can damage hair and scalp.
One of the best, low-cost alternatives to keep your hair healthy and shiny as well as delay the appearance of gray hair is rosemary oil.
Rosemary has been used for hundreds of years in food and as a medicinal herb. And in addition to being a powerhouse in medicinal use, rosemary oil has many uses in beauty, as it helps keep hair healthy, shiny and dark.
How does rosemary oil work on hair?
Hailing from the Mediterranean, rosemary is a bushy herb known for its antiseptic and revitalizing properties which stimulate hair follicles. Boing this it fights off hair loss and promotes growth.
Rosemary also stimulates the circulatory system, meaning that it will make your hair look full and healthy.
Rosemary is also a natural darkener, making it perfect for those with brunette or black hair, or those who are experiencing the appearance of gray hairs.
Traditional uses for rosemary for hair is in the form of essential oils or infusions. Both methods have distinct applications and can be used in a variety of ways to treat your hair.
Using rosemary oil for hair care
Experts recommend using rosemary oil in conjunction with a second essential oil, such as salmon oil, olive oil, or coconut oil. This is recommended because rosemary oil is extremely strong and may induce side effects if applied directly to the hair.
You may also add rosemary oil to your shampoo bottle or condition so that you get a gentle application each time you wash.
- If you’ve chosen to mix the rosemary oil with a second oil then you should apply the mixture to both the hair and scalp.
- Massage gently in circles and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water to leave your hair shiny and brilliant.
Discover: Simple Natural Remedies for Damaged Hair
To prevent hair loss
Working to stimulate hair follicles and prevent premature hair loss, rosemary oil makes a great addition to your healthy hair care routine.
The following suggested treatment combines all of the best properties of rosemary to fight premature hair loss and ensure you’re hair and scalp stay strong and healthy.
- 5 drops of rosemary oil
- 2 sprigs of dried rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Heat up the olive oil over low heat and transfer to a secondary container to cool (preferably glass).
- Add the rosemary oil and dried springs.
- Place in a corner to cool.
- Apply mixture to hair and scalp and then hair wrap in a hot towel.
- Leave the application on for 30 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse with cool water.
Darken and soften hair
If you’re blonde you’ll want to think twice before trying this treatment to soften your hair as rosemary will deepen your tones.
Rosemary oil is an ideal darkener for brunettes or those with dark hair, bringing out the major tones of your color and hiding gray hairs.
See also: Rosemary Oil: Uses that You May Not Know
- 1/2 liter of water
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 4 tablespoons of prepared rosemary oil
- In a pot begin to boil the water.
- Once boiling, add the rosemary oil and drops of essential oil.
- Bring the heat to a low setting and let it heat for another two minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain the mixture once cool.
- Rinse your hair with the mixture (make sure to make it the last rinse of your shower).
- Comb out hair and let dry naturally. Use for five days and let your hair rest for two.
Things to be aware of:
- Do not use this if you are pregnant or nursing. It is also not recommended for those suffering from epilepsy. Consult with a doctor prior to using rosemary in your beauty regiment.
- Because this is a home-based remedy, you can expect results to take some time, which means being faithful to an application routine.