Roasted Vegetable Salad with Quinoa
Are you looking for a healthy and nutritious dish? Try this delicious quinoa and roasted vegetable salad, you'll be surprised by how good it tastes!
Roasted vegetable salad with quinoa can be an excellent option as a meal for vegetarian or vegan guests. What’s more, it’s a nutritious and delicious dish that will please the whole family.
In this article, we’ll tell you about its nutritional value and present the recipe step by step. We’ll also give you some other ideas to modify the original recipe to your liking!
Roasted vegetable salad is a dish that can easily be modified to please the whole family. You only have to choose the vegetables you like and that’s it! The best part? You can introduce a million variants so you never get bored of it.
For this vegetable salad we’ve chosen pumpkin, bell pepper, beet and spinach. The pumpkin stands out for its amazing vitamin C content (a 7-ounce portion provides 31% of the recommended daily intake) and because of its low calories.
Bell pepper, on the other hand, is a source of vitamin B6, A, beta-carotene (2,220 μg/4 ounces of edible portion) and vitamin C. For fiber, we incorporated the beet, also rich in potassium, an essential mineral for nervous system and muscles to work properly.
We’ve decided to incorporate spinach because it’s a source of potassium and iron. Regarding the iron content, it’s the non-heme variety that requires vitamin C (found in spinach, pumpkin and bell pepper) for the body to absorb it.
To increase the nutritional value of this salad we added quinoa, a cereal with a high protein value and that has essential amino acids, such as glutamic acid, aspartic acid, isoleucine, lysine, phenylalanine, tyrosine, and valine.
Lastly, we finish off the salad with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil which adds the benefits of this liquid gold that’s so valued in the Mediterranean diet.
Roasted vegetable salad gives a lot of room for creativity, not only because you can change the vegetables you decide to include each time, but also because you can serve it hot, warm, or cold!
- 7 ounces of pumpkin (200 g)
- 5 ounces of beet (150 g)
- 4 ounces of bell pepper (100 g)
- 7 ounces of spinach (200 g)
- 7 ounces of quinoa (200 g)
- Pine nuts (to taste, optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- Balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Remove the skin from the pumpkin, peel the beet and clean the spinach and bell pepper. Remember to remove the white part of the bell pepper and the seeds to avoid their bitter taste in your dish.
- Cut the pumpkin and the beet in cubes, the bell pepper in julienne and chop the spinach.
- Place the vegetables on a tray and season to taste.
- Cover the vegetables with a generous splash of extra virgin olive oil and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remember to turn the vegetables over halfway through cooking. Before removing them from the oven, check that they’re well cooked with a toothpick. If they aren’t, add 5 more minutes of baking time.
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package. Drain it well so as to not add water to the salad.
- Prepare the dressing: mix salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste in a bowl.
- Combine the roasted vegetables with the quinoa and add the dressing.
- You can add some pine nuts on top to give the roasted vegetable salad a crunchy and different touch.
You may like: Four Mixed Salad Recipes You Should Try
Ideas to mix it up
- You can vary the vegetables that you include. For example, try incorporating zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes, leek, fennel or eggplant.
- Incorporate green olives or croutons.
- Change the quinoa for pasta or rice.
- Serve the salad with chicken cubes, to create a version with meat.
- How about preparing this salad with prawns? Simply delicious!
- Another good idea is to change the dressing for a mustard vinaigrette. To prepare it, mix one spoonful of mustard with one spoonful of vinegar and two spoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil.
Now you know, next time you want to eat something healthy and delicious, remember this recipe for roasted vegetable salad with quinoa! We promise it won’t let you down.