To Give the World Respectful Kids, Raise them Respectfully
Because children take their cues from what they see, in order to raise respectful kids you must be consistent in your own actions and teach them to appreciate the value of respect
To give the world respectful kids, it’s important that they are respected during their childhood, during those early years of life that mark their growth as a person.
When talking about different styles of education and upbringing, parents are free to take on the method that they think is most appropriate, according to their values.
One aspect that you can never neglect, however, is the happiness of your children.
You must also remember that adults are responsible for teaching kids to build a better, more noble world.
Educating your children is an act of responsibility and the most important job you’ll undertake. You can’t become obsessed with it or strive to be the most perfect parent. Sometimes, you just need to follow your own heart.
In today’s article we want to talk about how to raise conscious and respectful kids.
Loving, respectful kids
When a child comes into the world you don’t know very much about them yet. And you’re not going to learn everything in just a few months or years as they begin to inherit their character, perhaps not responding to what you yourself try to instill.
Every child will develop their own tastes, their own identity, and have their own passions and concerns. Children are not copies of their parents, nor is it your obligation to determine everything that they should think or feel.
Your job is to accompany them in that process of growth with love and respect. If you want respectful kids, there’s nothing better than raising children who are respected, loved, and valued.
Respect the natural growth of your children
During the ’90s the topic of early stimulation became very important. It’s something undoubtedly wonderful and a key strategy to allowing kids who have developmental problems improve upon some basic processes.
- Now, don’t confuse the term early stimulation with “acceleration.” There are some mothers who are obsessed with having their children be proficient readers when they’re four years old.
- There are families who teach their children to solve math problems at five years, when they’ve already started studying two foreign languages and also going to ballet class, music class, playing soccer…
- Sometimes acceleration can bring stressed children into the world. Stress, anxiety, and the pressure to perform according to certain expectations will never result in respectful kids.
- Let your children grow with the “slow fire of love.” Let them play, let them discover the world before them, take their first steps, fall down in the park, run, fall down, and get back up again…
See also Don’t let love change who you are
All these exercises respect the growth of your children. When they feel loved and respected, they will also be respectful.
Understand their feelings and help them channel their emotions
When you raise your voice to your children, telling them, “You’re too old to cry,” or “I don’t have time for your nonsense, I’m tired,” you forever alter their emotional world.
- Respectful education is carried out in a way that allows them to channel their emotional world, to understand their anger, fear, and anxiety…
- Respect for one’s emotions is an exercise in health and growth for which your children will always be thankful.
- If they feel like they are being heard, if they see that every word they say will be addressed, they’ll grow in security and maturity.
Education with respect doesn’t mean you don’t set any boundaries for your kids. This is necessary. Just like the rest of society sets yours, your young ones must be capable of accepting certain rules and responsibilities.
Teaching them rights and responsibilities is also a form of respect in the education of a child. It allows them to manage their frustration and understand what is expected of them at all times.
A child who doesn’t know what his limits are will try to cross them every day, leading to negative outcomes and leaving you feeling frustrated and lost.
Respectful kids, on the other hand, will know how to respect themselves.
As you can see, this kind of respectful parenting is something that many families practice every day, and they do so because they understand that love and respect are invisible bonds that guide the development of their children.
See also 7 questions about dreams
- Children need to be able to walk safely, but feel free to keep their own pace, knowing what they can and cannot do.
Be the best role model for your children. Remember that right now they’re the “young students” of life and they learn more by example than by words.