Renew Your Home with Spray Paint
Don't throw away your old furniture or objects. Believe it or not, a touch of spray paint can bring them back to life. Read on to discover how!
Spray paint is one of the best materials for creative and innovative home ideas. From painting a wall or corner to decorating an old object, there are plenty of things you can do with these fun spray colors.
Spray paint comes in a variety of textures, such as metallic, acrylic, stone, wood, matte, and glossy that will create different finishes to achieve almost any effect you can imagine.
The Many Advantages of Spray Paint
Spray painting has many advantages over regular paint for your decorating projects. Here’s a few of them:
- You don’t need additional tools such as brushes, paint rollers, or paint trays.
- You finish faster than with normal paint.
- The finish is uniform and doesn’t leave brush and roller marks.
- Spray paints are oil paints, which makes them more durable than water-based paints.
- Spray paint covers more areas, as it reaches places that paintbrushes and rollers can’t.
Some Considerations Before Starting
- Before using spray paint, you must consider certain protective measures to avoid harming yourself and other objects.
- Spray paint has a very fine powder that normally travels beyond the area you want to paint, so you have to protect your surroundings so they don’t get ruined.
- For the same reason, it’s advisable to wear a mask to avoid breathing in the toxic paint and gloves so the paint doesn’t get on your hands.
- You should preferably paint in outdoor spaces so the paint particles don’t remain in your home.
- Avoid painting if there’s wind because it can take the paint with it, meaning you’ll need more and the finish may not be so smooth.
- If you paint out in the sun, the paint will dry a lot faster. However, try to avoid painting on a hot day. Very high temperatures can create bubbles in the paint when it dries.
- When you paint, try to always spray from the same distance so the finish is smooth. Also, spray the paint from side to side of the surface to be painted, without focusing on a single point, so that the paint doesn’t build up in one place more than in another.
- If you notice that a certain area is less painted, it’s preferable to give the entire area a second and even a third coat instead of just focusing on the one area.
With these tips, you can start using your imagination and painting. Here are some ideas.
Ideas for Renewing Your Home with Spray Paint
Turn Your Fan Into a Rainbow
Paint each of the fan blades a different color. To do this, follow these steps.
- Remove the front piece of the fan cage.
- Cover the entire fan with newspaper, leaving only one blade uncovered. Apply yellow spray paint.
- When it dries, uncover another blade and cover the yellow one.
- Apply red on the new blade.
- Repeat with the third blade. Paint this one blue.
- When you finish, remove all the newspaper and reattach the front piece of the fan cage.
When you turn the fan on, you’ll see a range of colors spinning!
This article may interest you: 6 Quick Tips for Interior Decorating
Painted Metal Flowerpots
Upgrade your old flowerpots by using metallic colors. Recycle cans and turn them into flowerpots for your small plants.
- If the cans have paper labels, remove them and wash them well.
- When they dry, put them on a newspaper and spray inside and outside of the cans. Metallic colors such as bronze or silver look best, but you can use other colors if you like. Stone finishes also work well.
- Make sure to cover the cans well to prevent rusting.
- If you’re going to plant a plant that needs lots of water, you can open a hole in the bottom.
Restore Your Old Lamps
You can also restore any old lamp that has peeling paint so it looks like new.
- Sand down the old paint so that the surface is smooth and unmarked.
- Protect the inner part where the bulb and cable go. Make sure that the place where the bulb goes is well covered because if you paint it, the electrical contact will be lost.
- Apply any spray color you like. Metallic textures look great.
- Let it dry and enjoy the new look!
Restore Old Furniture
You can also renew your old furniture, no matter what they’re made of. As with lamps, spray paint can be applied on wooden, plastic, or metal furniture to make them look like new.
- Cover the surfaces you don’t want to paint, such as drawer handles, with tape or newspaper.
- Sand down the surfaces thoroughly to remove the old paint.
- Spray the paint evenly on the furniture.
- Let dry and apply a second coat.
- If you like, you can apply a coat of varnish at the end for a glossy finish and to protect the wood.
Read more here: Mistakes to Avoid When You Paint Your House
Paint a Work of Art
With a little imagination and a can of spray paint, you can paint a painting to hang on your walls. You don’t even need to know how to draw!
- Use canvas or another surface you prefer.
- Collect branches and leaves. Paint them on one side and fasten them onto the canvas before the paint dries.
- Without moving the leaves and branches, paint the rest of the canvas with another color that goes well with the one you used to paint the leaves.
- When the paint dries, carefully lift the branches and leaves.
This technique can be used with many other objects. Just choose whatever you want to capture in your artwork.
Spray Paint Decorative Vases
Upcycle your vases with different spray colors. You can decorate vases or glass containers that you never use with a simple touch.
- Stick the tape to draw lines around the vase. You can also paste other designs such as geometric figures.
- Paint the vase whatever color you like. Once again, metallic colors look more elegant.
- When the paint dries, carefully remove the tape and enjoy how your design looks.
Bring Dry Plants to Life with Spray Paint Color
Finally, you can also make a nice bouquet with a few dried flowers and branches.
- Choose some flowers and dead branches.
- Spray paint them from a distance so you leave a few spots of the natural color of the dried flowers. This way, you’ll get a vivid double tonality.
- For this design, pastel colors work best because they make it look more natural.
Now that you know some things that you can do with spray paint, create your own designs. The possibilities are endless!