Remedies That Help Treat Urinary Tract Infections
Urinary tract infections, otherwise known as cystitis, can be extremely painful, but there are some great natural ways of combatting this.
There are many possible causes for these infections but the most common ones are:
- Holding in urine for long periods of time
- Sexual relations
However, here we have compiled a selection of fruits and vegetables that can help treat urinary tract infections. There is a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to choose from.
Treat urinary tract infections with pumpkin seeds
Pumpkins are loaded with nutrients that relieve many kinds of pain, including those caused by urinary tract infections. In fact, pumpkin is great for treating cystitis because it has anti-inflammatory properties, and this can also be very beneficial for treating prostate pain in men.
How can you use pumpkin seeds?
- Firstly, lightly toast the pumpkin seeds. You can sprinkle a little salt on top to make a wonderful snack.
- Eat a handful of pumpkin seeds daily (NOTE, this doesn’t replace medical treatment).
Also read this article: 7 Incredible Benefits of Eating Pumpkins
Cucumbers have plenty of water as well as vitamins K and C. This makes them great for fighting infections because they provide extra water and are anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.
How can you use cucumbers?
- Eat at least one cucumber daily when you have a urinary tract infection. You can also make a cucumber and ginger salad.
- Make a cucumber, carrot and beet juice. This will give you a good dose of vitamins A and C as well as a number of minerals.
Oranges and kiwis
Mixing these two fruits together gives you an explosion of vitamin C, which makes it difficult for bacteria to grow. This combination also has fiber, which cleans not only the urinary tract but the bowels as well.
How can you use these fruits?
- Blend the kiwis, peeling them first, along with the oranges. Then pour the mixture into a cup and enjoy before breakfast.
- You can also eat these fruits as a dessert with a little honey, or prepare an orange, kiwi, parsley and arugula salad with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, ginger and honey vinaigrette.
Recommended reading : 5 Kiwi Smoothies that You Really Need to Try
Parsley is a natural diuretic with great anti-bacterial properties. These properties help combat problematic bacteria in urine.
How can you use parsley?
- Firstly, boil two cups of water and add a cup of fresh parsley leaves, or two tablespoons of dried parsley. Cook over a low-heat for 10 minutes, and then strain and drink.
- Pineapple, cucumber and parsley make a great juice.
Radish contains an anti-microbial component, which makes it the best antibiotic in nature. It attacks bacteria’s cellular membranes and keeps them from growing.
How can you use radishes?
- Firstly, grate the spicy radish. Take a half teaspoon of the grated radish and mix it into a glass of warm water. Drink the water at least three times a day.
- You can also use spicy radish as a condiment for your meals during while you have the infection.
This medicinal plant, known for its properties such as its natural antibiotic effects, helps the immune system. However, pregnant women and children younger than 2 shouldn’t use it as a treatment.
How can you use echinacea?
- Make some tea by adding one teaspoon of echinacea into a cup of water. You can drink three cups a day.
- You can also use essential echinacea oil or capsules.
You can help to treat urinary tract infections with these simple preventative measures:
- Go to the bathroom as soon as you need to urinate! Holding in urine creates a hot spot for bacteria.
- When you go to the bathroom, wipe front to back to prevent bacteria from entering the urethra.
- After sexual intercourse, urinate and wash the area. This is a key preventative measure.
- Avoid using vaginal douches and scented pads.
- Increase your consumption of vitamin C-rich foods.
- Add a codfish oil supplement to your diet as it can improve your immune system.