Remedies for Fine, Brittle Hair
Attractive, strong hair is a reflection of good health. Sometimes, hormonal changes, chemical substance abuse, or hair dryer use can severely damage it. But in general, our hair’s health depends on our body’s nutritional balance.
Any vitamin, mineral, or protein deficiency causes weakness, fragility, and hair loss. Normally, anemia is the direct cause of hair loss. Having an iron deficiency is what leads to weak and brittle hair.
Discover: 7 Home Remedies for Healthy Hair
Causes of weak hair
Hair, in addition to being composed of keratin, is also composed of basic minerals such as magnesium, silicon, selenium, copper, etc. To maintain healthy hair, it’s necessary to have the right balance of all of them. But what are the main causes of weak and brittle hair?
- Hormonal changes.
- Stress or anxiety.
- Thyroid problems.
- Mineral deficiencies, especially of iron.
- External effects: sun, wind, excessive use of chemical products, etc.
Remedies for healthy hair
You should realize that when you maintain an adequate and balanced diet, your hair will immediately reflect the change. Here are some other important tips:
- Proteins: It’s essential that you daily consume an adequate amount of proteins, which you can find in eggs, cheese, and fish. Also, when you eat fats, they should be of vegetable origin. Some examples are nuts and olive oil.
- Linoleic acid: Essential for enjoying a shiny and healthy head of hair. You can find it in sunflower oil and soybean oil.
- Vitamin A: Retinol, or antixerophthalmic vitamin, is a fat-soluble vitamin that participates in the formation and maintenance of cells. It can be found in carrots, cabbage, broccoli, melons, apricots, etc.
- Vitamin B: They’re related to body metabolism and are vital to keeping hair strong and healthy. Where can you find it? In eggs, fermented dairy products, fish, brewer’s yeast, algae, edible mushrooms, wheat germ, and soy. In addition, your physician can prescribe Vitamin B supplements.
- Vitamin C: A natural antioxidant that’s a basic necessity for strengthening our hair. You should drink juices from oranges, lemons, strawberries, mangos, etc.
Read more here: 6 Key Vitamins for Hair Growth
- Adequate mineral intake: Iron, zinc, copper, etc. Thus, don’t forget to include nuts, fish, spinach, lentils, mollusks, and lean meats in your diet.
- Biotin: Essential for skin, hair, and also nail health. If we have a healthy, balanced diet, biotin is generated in our intestinal flora. However, if we don’t eat correctly, the lack of biotin can cause hair loss. To synthesize it properly, you should eat cereals, eggs, foods containing yeast, etc.
- Folic acid: It’s an important nutritional element that plays a part in DNA synthesis. It’s also essential for cell multiplication, the formation of red and white blood cells, and the synthesis of many neurotransmitters. A folic acid deficiency damages our hair. We can find it in vegetables, avocados, orange juice, broccoli, beets, brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, etc.
- Foods that contain sulfur: Sulfur helps us form collagen, a basic element that makes hair stronger. You can find it in soy, nuts, seeds, meats, eggs, whole grain cereals, etc.
- Proper hydration: Lastly, it’s important that you remember that good hydration helps regenerate our hair, improving its elasticity and overall health. To achieve this, it’s important to drink between 6 to 8 glasses of water throughout the day.
Homemade mask for brittle hair
- 2 egg yolks
- Vinegar: 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons of almond oil
- Place the two egg yolks in a bowl, along with the vinegar and almond oil.
- Stir well for five minutes until the mixture is homogenous and of an attractive yellow color.
- Wet your hair so that it’s damp when you carefully apply the mixture to it.
- Then, massage the mixture into the scalp, including the nape of the neck, so that it’s thoroughly coated.
- If you have a shower cap, it’s perfect to cover your hair and to leave the mask on for at least half an hour. Then, rinse with warm water.
- If you do this twice a week, you will eventually see results.