Relieve Heartburn with These 5 Natural Remedies
If you tend to get heartburn after eating, try these natural remedies both to prevent it and to relieve and treat the most recurrent symptoms.
Heartburn is an uncomfortable symptom that results from the excessive production of stomach acid, almost always after eating certain foods or large meals.
It involves a burning sensation that goes all the way up from the abdomen to the throat. The acids tend to return to the esophagus due to the weakening of the sphincters that should prevent this.
Although it’s a sporadic condition and in most cases is mild, for some people it becomes a chronic and recurring problem.
Together with the burning sensation, other symptoms may be experienced such as burping and sharp chest pain, which can even be confused with the pains that signal a heart attack.
Fortunately, there are some natural remedies that, thanks to their properties, control heartburn effectively without causing undesirable side effects.
In this article, we want to share 5 recipes in detail so that you can try them at the first sign of heartburn.
1. Aloe vera crystals and honey
The crystals found in aloe vera leaves have digestive and anti-inflammatory properties that can contribute to controlling the symptoms of heartburn.
Together with the properties of honey, this creates an antacid remedy that, as well as regulating stomach pH, also reduces inflammation of the irritated lining.
- 1 aloe vera leaf
- 2 teaspoons of honey (15 g)
- Extract the crystals from the aloe vera leaf and blend them with 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Drink the juice after eating a large meal or at the first sign of heartburn.
- Bear in mind that aloe vera has a mild laxative effect, so it isn’t advisable to consume it in large quantities.
Oats are another antacid ingredient that can relieve heartburn quickly.
They contain fiber and antioxidants that, once assimilated by the body, balance the stomach pH and reduce the secretion of acids.
They also help to control levels of cholesterol, a substance which can influence acid reflux when present in excess.
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of oats (20 g)
- Heat a cup of water. When it boils, add two tablespoons of oats.
- Leave it to stand at room temperature for one hour and then strain it and drink.
- Repeat up to 3 times a day.
3. Ginger and honey infusion
Ginger root contains powerful digestive compounds that help to block the excessive production of stomach acid and the activity of H. Pylori bacteria.
Its active compound, gingerol, has anti-inflammatory and sedative properties that help to control the burning and irritation caused by this problem.
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root (10 g)
- Heat the cup of water. When it boils, add the tablespoon of grated ginger root.
- Leave it to infuse on low heat for two minutes and then remove.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and wait until it reaches a suitable temperature for drinking.
- Drink a cup as soon as you experience the first signs of heartburn.
Fresh apple juice
Fresh apple juice is one of the most effective home remedies against the burning and inflammation caused by stomach acidity.
Its alkalinity and anti-inflammatory compounds help to control irritation of the stomach and esophagus.
- 5 apples
- 1 tablespoon of honey (7.5 g)
- Put the apples through a juicer and mix the juice with a tablespoon of honey.
- Drink when you notice the first signs of heartburn or after eating irritating foods.
We recommend you read: Diminish Wrinkles with these 5 Honey Masks
5. Potato juice
Natural potato juice has digestive properties that help to control the production of acidic stomach juices.
Its calming effect reduces burning in the upper abdomen and also neutralizes acids that reach the esophagus.
- 1 potato
- 1/2 glass of water (125 ml)
- Make sure the potatoes you use have no black spots or green parts, because these may contain toxic substances.
- Grate the potato and extract its juice with the help of a fine strainer.
- Take two tablespoons of the natural juice and mix it with half a glass of tepid water.
- Drink in sips when you first experience burning.
As you can see, these remedies are simple to prepare and their ingredients are very easy to get hold of.
Try whichever one you like the sound of and say goodbye to this troublesome symptom!
Main image courtesy of © wikiHow.com