Recommendations to Prevent Coronavirus Infection
In recent weeks, the world has been on alert due to the many cases of people infected with coronavirus and, above all, due to the fatal outcome it has caused in thousands of these patients. Thus, many people are wondering how to prevent coronavirus infection.
What’s the coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses of unknown origin. There are different types of coronaviruses. They can cause a common cold, pneumonia, or, in its severest form, respiratory failure.
In December 2019, the first cases of a new type of coronavirus were detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan. Since then, its spread from an infected person to a healthy one has made the number of cases increase dramatically.
Currently, there are over 200,000 people infected and over 8000 have died from this virus. Although the confirmed number of cases is high, the mortality from this type of virus is currently relatively low.
You may be interested in: Important Preventive Measures against COVID-19
The symptoms it causes
Coronavirus infection usually produces symptoms similar to those of the common flu. Some of them are:
- General malaise
- Muscle pain
- Runny nose
- Fever and chills
- Sore throat and headache
The infection can occur asymptomatically, with the general symptoms that we discussed, or it can even produce complications such as pneumonia or respiratory failure in severe cases.
The more serious cases usually occur in the most vulnerable population. This population is composed of the elderly, newborn babies, or people with weakened immune systems.
How does it spread?
One of the main reasons for alarm is that the virus can possibly spread from person to person, even before the infected person manifests symptoms.
In addition, there’s currently no specific treatment to cure the virus. Also, there’s no vaccine or any measures to ensure protection. Therefore, it’s very important to take certain precautionary measures to hinder the transmission as much as possible.
You may be interested in: Why Is Quarantine Necessary in Cases such as Coronavirus?
Some measures to prevent coronavirus infection
Thus, some of the measures that you can take to prevent the spread of this and other types of viruses are:
- Avoid close contact with infected people
- It’s very important to maintain proper hygiene. Although it’s relevant in general hygiene, you must pay special attention to hand hygiene.
- Keep approximately three feet of distance between people.
- Use masks following the specific instructions of each authority in hotspots or places where the disease has spread a lot.
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissues when you cough.
Proper hand washing has proven to be a very effective and inexpensive way to reduce the transmission of bacteria and viruses. Here are the instructions to proper hand hygiene:
- Wet your hands
- Apply enough soap
- Scrub your hands as follows:
- Rub your palms together
- Scrub the palm of your right hand against the back of the left, clasping your fingers, and vice versa
- Rub your palms together with your fingers intertwined
- Wash the back of the fingers of one hand against the palm of the opposite hand, holding your fingers together
- Scrub both thumbs individually
- Scrub your fingertips
- Rinse your hands
- Dry your hands with a single-use towel or a clean towel
- Use the towel to close the tap
In the midst of this crisis, it’s important to stay calm. This is because, in these cases, health systems are usually fast and efficient.It might interest you...