Recipes To Make A Delicious Spanish Orange Flan
In this article we're going to show you a range of methods to make a delicious orange flan. This dessert will be a success at your dinner table and will delight all your guests.
Did you know that you can make Spanish orange flan in several different ways? Well, you can, and it’s very easy. You won’t need many ingredients and you can work with the utensils you have in the kitchen. The steps are very easy to follow so there’s no excuse not to give yourself the opportunity to make this delicious dessert which will please palates all round.
By following these instructions, you can bring a delicious Spanish orange flan to life in a matter of minutes. Are you ready to get to work? Let’s get started!
As the EcuRed Encyclopedia points out, the Spanish orange flan is a dessert whose preparation is quite similar to that of a classic Spanish egg flan (similar to creme caramel) but adding the citrus flavor of oranges. However, they also point out that other citrus fruits such as mandarins or clementines can also be used.
In any case, it’s a perfect dessert to enjoy with your family on special occasions. Its main ingredient, orange, is rich in vitamins A, C and E, potassium, magnesium and antioxidant substances that benefit health, according to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
They also contain milk, which according to a publication in Food & Nutrition Research, helps to meet our body’s nutritional requirements. However, we should point out that, like any dessert, it contains sugar and fat, and they should be taken in moderation.
We would even suggest that you consult your nutritionist first, since these types of desserts are not suitable for all types of diets. However, if you are healthy and eat well, you can probably enjoy it without any problem at all. Here’s the recipe!
Classic recipe for a delicious Spanish orange flan
To prepare this first version of a delicious orange flan, you’ll need the following ingredients to make four portions:
- 4 eggs
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup of water
- 8 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of orange blossom water (10 ml).
How to make the caramel
- The first step to make this dessert is to prepare the caramel. To do this, you need to heat the water with half of the sugar on a low heat.
- Add the lemon juice and stir well so that the sugar dissolves correctly.
Making the flan in the oven
- Once the sugar has dissolved, stop stirring and keep the pan on the heat. After a few minutes, the water will start to go a bit darker.
- When it has turned golden and the surface is dense, the caramel is ready. So, now you can spread it around the walls of the mold you’re going to cook the flan in.
- To continue making this delicious orange flan, squeeze the oranges to get as much juice as you can, and mix it together with the rest of the ingredients in your blender. Blend the ingredients at a high speed for a couple of minutes to achieve a uniform mix.
- When the mixture is beaten well and goes foamy, pour it into the mold on top of the caramel and cook it over a double boiler on the oven. To do this, use a deep tray half-filled with water, and put the flan mold on top of it. You can also use a well-covered pressure cooker.
- Cook the flan at 400 ºF, making sure the heat is on above and below. Leave the flan to cook for half an hour, then poke it with a skewer to check its texture and see if it’s ready. Finally, remove the mold from the oven and leave it out to cool before serving it in bowls or on plates.
Making the flan in the microwave
- As an alternative option, if you don’t have an oven or don’t want to use it, you can make this recipe in the microwave. To do so, you need to use a microwave-safe Bundt tin, and spread the caramel around it before pouring in the rest of the ingredients as in the above recipe.
- Cook the flan by putting the mixture in the microwave for 10 minutes on medium power. After this time, leave it to stand for a couple more minutes in the microwave, then put it back on to cook for three more minutes, this time on high power.
- At this point it should be nearly ready. However, if you can see that the mixture is still a bit liquid, you can carry on cooking it for one minute at a time, leaving it to stand for a minute in between, until it is ready and has the right texture and consistency.
How to make a thick orange syrup
To intensify the orange flavor in the flan, you can complicate the recipe a little by also making an orange syrup.
- The first step for this is to cut the orange peel into thin shreds before you squeeze the oranges, by grating it with a thick grater. These strips should come from the most orange part of the fruit, so try to remove any white, bitter parts.
- Once they’re ready, cook them in a pan of water, and when it boils, remove the water to prevent it having an overly bitter orange flavor. Then, add four tablespoons of sugar and four more of water, and leave it heating up again until it boils.
- Leave it to boil for between 5 and 10 minutes, keeping an eye on it to see if it is forming a thick syrupy sauce. When it does so, turn off the heat and remove the pan.
- As a final touch, you can add some fine slices of orange without the peel to accentuate the flavor while the mixture is cooling.
With these guidelines, you’ll be able to make this delicious orange flan, which you can finish off decorating on the plate with a few strips of orange peel or slices of orange. Why don’t you have a go at making this deliciously healthy orange-based recipe.