Six Recommendations to Prevent Varicose Veins
The best thing you can do to prevent varicose veins is to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Where to start, though? No worries, today’s article contains some tips that might help you.
Varicose veins are dilated veins that, in general, appear in the lower part of the body due to poor circulation. This is because these indicate that the blood is having interference returning to the heart normally. Mainly due to an inflammatory imbalance or due to the fact that the valves that allow blood to pass are weakened.
It’s always been considered an aesthetic problem, given that the veins are reddish-blue and look like bruises. Furthermore, they can be a health issue since they can cause a feeling of heaviness. This is because poor circulation causes pain and other uncomfortable symptoms.
Luckily, practicing certain habits can lessen the risk of having varicose veins. This is especially true when starting a routine at an early age. Thus, continue reading to find some tips on how to prevent them. Check them out!
Tips to prevent varicose veins
1.Control your body weight
An article by Hospital Eugenio Espejo points out that the occurrence of varicose veins is one of the principal consequences of being overweight.
Furthermore, the excess weight keeps the blood from properly circulating through the veins. Moreover, it causes inflammation in the capillaries.
- Firstly, control the consumption of calories and fat in your diet
- Secondly, base your diet on fruit, vegetables, and whole grains
- Also, exercise regularly, a minimum of 30 minutes per day
- Finally, follow the recommendations of a physician if you’re obese
2. Wear comfortable shoes
Wearing wide shoes with a soft sole can be a determinant in preventing circulatory interference in the lower part of the body. Tight high heels that are too high weaken the valves that regulate the passage of blood through the veins, which is conducive to retention and inflammation.
- Firstly, don’t wear high-heeled shoes, the height shouldn’t exceed two inches
- Also, wear low shoes with thick soles and some type of ventilation most of the time
3. Increase your water consumption
People who don’t drink enough water daily tend to experience more circulatory problems in comparison with those who consume an adequate quantity of water. This liquid is vital for body functions and helps to maintain your blood in perfect condition. It also facilitates its return from all parts of the body to the heart.
- Firstly, be sure to drink between 6 and 8 glasses of water a day
- Also, replace the water with natural fruit drinks, infusions, or fresh juices if you just can’t drink more of it
3. Skip the tight clothing
Even though it’s hard to believe, wearing clothes that are too tight can influence the appearance of varicose veins and spider veins. Wearing tight jeans, skirts, and other clothing interferes with the circulation of the legs. It leads to this kind of aesthetic problem over time.
- Firstly, wear clothing with loose fabric that’s soft and airy
- Secondly, choose the right size of pants and other similar clothing
Do you ever wonder, Can Tight Clothing Harm Your Health?
5. Elevate your legs to prevent varicose veins
Something as simple as elevating the legs can improve circulation to prevent the occurrence of these inflamed veins, according to the MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. This exercise facilitates the return of blood to the upper part of the body and, incidentally, promotes relaxation in situations of great fatigue.
- Firstly, elevate your legs for 2 or 3 minutes as often as you can
- Furthermore, try to do it at the end of your workday
- Finally, put it into practice if you’ve been in the same position for most of the day
6. Lower your consumption of salt
Salt is one of the ingredients that is used most in the kitchen. This is found in many foods. Unfortunately, it’s hard to eliminate it from the diet.
What many people don’t know is salt causes many health problems when used in excess. Varicose veins are one of these conditions. Sodium intake above the recommended dose could favor fluid retention and, after hindering circulation, influence the appearance of varicose veins and cellulite.
- Firstly, limit your consumption of salt. Replace it with other healthy spices
- Also, read the food labels in the supermarket to find out the salt content
How to prevent varicose veins
Do you worry about the appearance of these veins? Follow the recommendations given and do them as part of your routine as a preventative method.
Remember that “spider veins” might have a hereditary component and if your relatives have them then your risk of developing them is higher.
Finally, consult your doctor to obtain a proper diagnosis and get the best treatment adapted to your physical condition and the progress of your varicose veins if you suspect their presence.It might interest you...