One of the biggest problems faced by people who are quitting smoking is starting out the day without reaching for that necessary first cigarette.
Your body, especially your brain, is so accustomed to the presence of nicotine that when it perceives a deficit of this toxic element, it responds with a number of symptoms that are known as withdrawal.
It’s important to note that when it comes to quitting smoking, not everyone will be able to use the same strategies. That’s why it’s important to find the solution that best suits your needs.
Nevertheless, there are some simple tips you can try out to help face the worst moment in the day for a person who’s quitting smoking: the morning.
Morning abstinence syndrome
It’s a well-known fact that a regular smoker has their own key moments when they want (or need) a cigarette:
- When getting out of bed in the morning
- At social gatherings
- After meals
- While drinking coffee
- During breaks at work
Of all of these, the most difficult habit to break when you’re quitting smoking is the first one, and the following are some reasons why:
We recommend you read “Quit smoking with medicinal plants and fruits“
After you rest during the night, the level of nicotine in your bloodstream has decreased. When you wake up, your brain recognizes that deficit and “encourages” you to give it that drug it’s become so accustomed to.
- Your neurons need this harmful substance as a stimulant because they have integrated it into their daily function.
- Without nicotine your body starts a series of metabolic and physical changes that attempt to compensate for this deficit, all the while encouraging you to light up that cigarette.
- It’s not uncommon for a smoker to have one—or several—cigarettes as soon as they wake up and even before breakfast. No doubt this is a habit that’s very bad for your health.
- Once you’ve become committed to quitting smoking, you need to know that the worst will be over after the first three days. That’s when your brain will be craving that morning dose of nicotine the most.
You’ll have to face a test of endurance to get through those morning withdrawal symptoms and ultimately quit smoking. We want to offer you three remedies.
Quitting smoking: 3 ways to start the day
Remedy 1: medicinal water
This natural, detoxifying, and antioxidant rich beverage will help you eliminate some of those toxins that are stored in your bloodstream while giving you a boost of vitamin C.
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger (5 g)
- 1 teaspoon of ginseng (5 g)
- 15 grapes
- 1 liter of water
- 3 ice cubes
The intense flavors of lemon and ginger are excellent for fighting the symptoms of withdrawal. Don’t hesitate to buy the best ingredients and always choose organic when possible.
- The first thing you need to do to prepare this medicinal water is to extract the juice from the orange and lemon. Preserve the lemon rind. Wash the carrots, cut them into pieces, and process them along with the juices in the blender.
- Once you have a homogeneous mixture, add the ginseng powder, the ground ginger, and the grapes to the blender. Finally add the liter of water along with the lemon rind and blend. Add a few ice cubes when you’re done.
- Drink this to get started in the morning.
See also “Natural stomach ulcer remedies“
Remedy 2: detox your lungs
- 1 onion
- 1/2 liter of water
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric (5 g)
- 1 piece of ginger root (5 g)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (50 g)
- Bring the water to a boil. Chop the onion into quarters and add it to the boiling water. Add the ginger, turmeric, and two tablespoons of honey.
- Allow this mixture to cook for 35 to 40 minutes over medium heat. You want a slightly syrupy, thick beverage.
- Let the mixture stand for another half an hour before straining the liquid. Drink two tablespoons of this every morning.
Remedy 3: Licorice root tea
- 1 tablespoon of licorice root (20 g, found in health foods stores)
- 1 cup of water (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- Licorice root is antibacterial, emollient, anti-inflammatory, and an expectorant, ideal for fighting the effects of withdrawal.
- All you need to do is bring the water to a boil and steep the licorice root for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and sweeten it with honey.
It’s a very effective and delicious way to quit smoking .We encourage you to give it a try.