Prevent Cellulite and Get Firmer Skin: 11 Habits
When the climate improves and tempertures rise, the effects of cellulite become more visible. But we need to remember that cellulitis isn't always just an aesthetic problem, but sometimes also a health issue. So, how can you prevent cellulite and obtain firmer skin?
Many women struggle to prevent cellulite and get firmer skin as they get older and enter new stages in life. We can hide behind long pants in the winter, but when summer rolls around and swimsuit weather nears, our anxiety tends to increase.
Fortunately, there are healthy habits that we can practice year-round in order to improve or skin’s appearance. The first step, however, is understanding just what cellulitis is and how it affects our health.
What is cellulitis?
Cellulite refers to an accumulation of adipose tissue in the form of fat. This tissue collects in the thighs, glutes, abdomen, arms, upper arms, and legs, forming lumps. As a result, it produces irregularities in the skin that are often referred to as “orange-peel skin”.
Reducing cellulite has to do with more than simple aesthetics. Cellulite affects our health because it impedes the proper circulation of the blood in our legs. Therefore, it contributes to the appearance of varicose veins and lymphatic pathologies, which are deeper and harder to treat. For this reason, it’s important to develop new habits.
The 11 habits that help to prevent cellulite and get firmer skin
Change your diet to prevent cellulite
- A varied and balanced diet: Although cellulite affects 98% of women, maintaining a balanced diet reduces your chances of developing cellulite. At the same time, it helps to maintain the skin’s firmness.
- Avoid soft drinks, fast foods, and industrial pastries, as all of these products contribute to liquid retention and weight gain. In contrast, we should choose healthy options, including an abundance of foods that are rich in vitamins and collagen.
- Reduce your salt intake, since excess salt in your diet also produces liquid retention. This is a hard goal to accomplish since almost everything contains salt. So, in order to cut down, season your foods with spices instead of salt. All you need are 5 milligrams of salt per day, which is equivalent to 1 teaspoon.
Discover more: 6 Fruits You Can Eat to Reduce Cellulite Easily
Water and physical exercise
- Drink plenty of water: This helps drain the body and improve cellular function. Experts recommend drinking eight 8 oz. glasses of water per day, which can be difficult for many people to do. However, a good way to achieve it is by drinking one glass per hour. What’s more, if you want, you can add a squeeze of lemon or orange to add a bit of flavor.
- Stay active: You don’t have to join a gym in order to prevent cellulite – all you need to do is walk regularly. This is a simple habit that almost all of us can incorporate into our daily routine to tone the skin on your legs. For example, taking the stairs instead of the elevator is a great place to start. At the gym, you can focus on cardio or aerobic exercises.
- Self-massage: Massaging the areas where cellulite appears the most improves circulation and lymphatic drainage. For example, you can use a cellulite massage glove to massage your skin and eliminate dead cells. What’s more, it’s a good idea to finish your shower with a stream of cold water on your legs.
- Avoid tight clothing: Wearing tight garments makes blood flow difficult, favoring the appearance of cellulite.
Rest and stress
- Get the rest your body needs: Sleeping for at least 8 hours per day boosts overall health, and especially skin health. When we don’t sleep well, this increases the accumulation of fat in our body, favoring the appearance of orange-peel skin. Elevating your legs while your rest helps to improve circulation, eliminate toxins, and prevent cellulite.
- Avoid stress: In modern society, it seems impossible to relax and control negative emotions. As a result, skin becomes vulnerable and more prone to suffering alterations.
- Enjoy healthy activities like yoga, meditation, and the like in order to achieve emotional balance. All of these activities help to prevent cellulite.
You may also want to read: 6 Anti-Cellulite Exercises You Can Do at Home
Juice to help your control your weight and prevent cellulite
- Drink fruit juices combined with vegetables: Don’t forget to fill your refrigerator with pineapple, papaya, apples, and juice them along with celery, carrots, and plant infusions. That way, you can cleanse your body and avoid the accumulation of toxins in order to reduce cellulite.
- Maintain your ideal weight: Rapid weight gain and weight loss make cellulite worse. These sudden changes in weight cause our body’s tissue to lose elasticity and become more sensitive to flaccidity and the formation of fat.
Finally, there are cosmetic treatments that successfully erase the marks that cellulite leaves behind. However, the best thing you can do is prevent cellulite with these 11 simple habits. Change your eating habits, stay hydrated, rest up, and maintain your weight.
That way, you’ll tone your muscles, improve the appearance of your skin, and achieve better overall health.