Personal freedom is something that not everyone will get to experience in their lifetime.
The unburdened “do what you feel” attitude does imply being self-aware, and should always be carried out with respect, intelligence, tact, and value.
You know that it’s not always easy. Sometimes your responsibilities slowly begin to tie you down and take away your enjoyment, making life ever more difficult.
That’s why it’s important to set your priorities. You aren’t responsible for the people who cause you pain or take away your freedom. The burdens you take on and the chains around your ankles can also be huge obstacles to your personal growth.
Today we invite you to reflect on this.
What I feel is the voice of my heart
Throughout your life you may hide many things and think that that somehow maintains a balance in your world.
- Your wants and needs remain silent because you think they won’t fit in with your partner or your family.
- You hold back words because you don’t want to harm others.
- You suspend your desire to do many things while telling yourself that now is “not the time,” or “it’s too late, or “they’ll make fun of me.”
You could say that in some ways we live a more focused life on the outside than we do on the inside. That’s why you should keep a few simple things in mind.
See also “Be yourself and be happy“
Your needs can and should be in tune with those of others
No one is selfish for wanting to meet their own needs and act freely according to what they believe in, according to their personality. You should be able to do what you want within the limits of respect and balance.
- If you want to take a weekend trip alone or with a friend, neither your family nor your partner should take that the wrong way. The basis of happiness is built on trust and respect.
Freedom is necessary and an essential goal for being human. It’s important that you achieve it within your means.
- You should be free to choose what you do and don’t want at all times.
- You should be free to decide what you want both personally, and professionally.
- The freedom to communicate is paramount, because your success is consistent with what you feel, think, and do.
If you find that there is dissonance between these three key aspects, you eventually wind up having very low self-esteem.
We recommend you also read: “Good people have wounded hearts“
Do what you feel with respect and intelligence, and ignore the criticism
If you do what you want while being aware of where the boundaries lie and what your priorities are, nothing should be able to stop you.
- You know that your children – if you have them – come first, and you’re aware of your family obligations. But these shouldn’t be barriers to your own personal growth.
- It’s about knowing how to find the right balance where nothing has absolute control over you. You should do everything with passion and pleasure, knowing that every effort you make is worthwhile.
It’s important to exercise your personal freedom
1. Rate your priorities
We alluded to this in the previous section. Your priorities are aspects of your life that you are not able to give up. But you should take some important things into account.
- Priorities can’t completely dominate your life. Life isn’t just work. Life doesn’t revolve completely around your spouse or your children (you should also be promoting their independence and personal freedom).
You shouldn’t have too many priorities, and most commonly there are only three: family, work, and personal growth (which is the focus of this article).
2. Raising awareness: thinking of yourself is not selfish
Believe it or not, this is something people struggle with: How do you think of yourself when others need you?
- This is not the correct approach. A healthier line of thinking is: I care for myself and look out for my own happiness and well-being to give the best of myself to others.
Don’t forget to read: “Learning to be selfish“
3. Realistically evaluate the criticism you receive
Your family might be surprised by your sudden changes. Why have you only recently signed up for that online course? How are you all of a sudden going on a long trip? Why have you decided to leave your husband after all these years?
- What other people think doesn’t matter, and you only need to explain yourself once. Everyone has the right to be the architect of their own happiness, and you need to find the balance between what you want, think, need, and do.
There comes a time in everyone’s life when they will say the following: “I do what I feel and I have no regrets.” It’s a step in the direction of maturity and freedom, where you act out of respect not only for others, but for yourself.