Everyone knows it: the chemicals that make up our fabric softeners and clothes detergents are some some of the worst contaminants for the environment. Television commercials sell us the amazements of their fragrances and their effectiveness in getting rid of stains, but is there an alternative that is equally as effective and less contaminating? Yes! We will explain how to make organic homemade detergent in this article.
The Benefits of Making Your Own Organic Detergent
It is not only about finding an alternative that is a little cheaper. We aren’t talking about starting a hippy lifestyle at all. What we mean is simply looking for a way to surround yourself with healthier elements that take care of your health.
You have to keep in mind that there are a lot of toxic substances that soak into your clothing with these soaps and detergents. They aren’t only damaging your skin and that of your children, but little by little, all of these chemical elements can cause other diseases that you are not aware of. You won’t only be taking care of your planet with this type of natural detergent, but it will also take care of your health.
We should also mention that this detergent is 100% biodegradable. It will leave your clothing smooth and clean, but the difference is that you will find that when you take your clothes out of the washer, you won’t smell the characteristic perfume. But it is more natural and healthy, so don’t worry!
How to Make Organic Homemade Detergent
What You Need:
- A grater or kitchen robot
- A scale to measure the amounts
- 75 g of natural soap (Marsella brand for example, it is usually very good
- 1 glass of baking soda
- 1.5 L of water
- A big glass or a 2 liter bottle to put the homemade detergent
- 20 drops of essential oil, whatever kind you like to put in the detergent and something that gives it some kind of smell. Lavender, rosehip…
How to Make Organic Homemade Detegergent
- Easy, it won’t take you longer than 15 minutes. The first thing you do is grate the natural soap bar. If you do this by hand, it will be more difficult, which is why we recommend using the kitchen robot so that you don’t hurt your hands.
- What is the next step? Easy, once the soap is grated, put it inside the container you are using. Next, add in the baking soda to the glass.
- Now, heat the liter and a half of water. It must be boiling, which is why you should be especially careful to not burn yourself when you pour it into the container or bottle that you have chosen.
- Do it slowly and stir it once in awhile so that all of the ingredients get mixed together. Once this is mixed, add the 20 drops of essential oil. You will notice it smells great, plus it is a completely organic and natural detergent. Believe it or not, but it is ready now.
- We should mention that after a week you should see that the texture of the detergent will have changed, but don’t worry, it is still the same and you can use it until it’s gone. The amount of detergent you should put in the washer is that same that you use normally with industrial soap. You will see the great results!