A New Development to Treat Migraines
An accidental discovery could offer us a solution to treat migraines. People who injected botox to reduce wrinkles experienced a lower incidence of migraines.
Chronic migraines affect 2% of the world population and occur between 12 and 15 days per month. Fortunately, researchers discovered a new technique to treat migraines.
Chronic doesn’t mean that a person suffers from this type of migraine for 10 to 20 years. This type of migraine is different from an episodic one and is completely incapacitating. It can last for several consecutive days throughout the course of a month.
The intense headache includes dizziness, vomiting, sensitively to sunlight, and intense fatigue. This reduces the quality of life for these patients.
In general, the treatment for these cases is multidisciplinary. They include different types of medicine, specific diets, and various therapies according to the individual needs of each person.
The migraine unit of a Barcelona anti-aging group has developed a new technique that involves a small surgical procedure. This procedure frees the victims from this suffering by changing their lives completely.
We provide more information in the following article.
Chronic migraines, a very complex problem
According to neurologists, people who suffer from chronic migraines don’t always find the solution to their pain. In fact, 7 out of 10 report that they don’t receive adequate treatment. Many reach the point of opting for self-medication and the use of analgesics.
Check this out: Three Natural Painkillers to Relieve Migraines
We are dealing with a complex problem that requires innovation, investment, and a new direction for treatment, in order to offer hope to these people who have to cope with chronic migraines.
We wonder why some patients suffer from episodic migraines, some suffer from chronic migraines, and some people don’t suffer from any type of migraine. The answer is complicated and depends on various risk factors.
- Hereditary factors are involved. In a majority of cases it is a genetic component that is passed from mother to daughter.
- Suffering from neurological hypersensitivity is a condition that could also be in our genes and cause migraines. Exposing ourselves to distinct triggers such as stress, sunlight, changes in temperature, or certain foods that cause the migraines can be culprits.
- Subjecting ourselves to certain surgical interventions, such as an operation to treat an aneurysm. One of the possible temporary or chronic consequences is, precisely, a constant headache.
We recommend reading: 5 Natural Migraine Remedies to Soothe Pain
Something that we should take into account is that many people start suffering from headaches once in a while. After a while the headaches become more frequent and then become chronic.
At the same time, there are those who experience the opposite situation. They begin with chronic migraines that turn into spontaneous episodic migraines. To date, the causes of this phenomena are unknown.
At this time the technology is much simpler than it seems. We’ll explain it to you.
An accidental discovery to treat migraines
The cosmetic treatment centers in the United States accidentally discovered a new procedure to treat migraines.
It is odd, but little by little it was noticed that all of the women who suffered chronic migraines who had treatments to remove wrinkles between the eyebrows with botox, stated that their headaches had disappeared, without knowing why.
- Since then, they’ve done various studies about the efficacy of medical procedures for migraines. They are trying to determine if simply injecting botox works or if the answer was in blocking the muscle under the eyebrows known as the corrugator nerve.
- The result was the following: When pressure is relieved between the temporal, frontal, occipital, and nasal nerves, the migraine disappears.
How the treatment is carried out
This technique has been developed by the Migraine Surgery Unit of the Anti-Aging Group, in collaboration with the Migraine Surgery Center of Germany. The procedure is done once a month.
In case you are interested to treat migraines, feel free to consult with your doctor to find out whether this is beneficial or not.
These are the steps you would take:
- The doctor conducts a medical consultation to learn the individual patient’s situation.
- He does a botox test to see if the patient is eligible to use it.
- A follow-up is done to see if the patient accepts or rejects the botox in the system.
- Then the operation begins. The surgery is nothing more than a series of pricks to free the peripheral nerves. These nerves are inflamed due to tension and cause the migraine.
- The doctor uses general anesthesia and the postoperative time is fairly short.
After two weeks of rest the patient can lead a normal life. This is an interesting new way to treat migraines.