Never Toss Your Rice Water Again
You probably throw out the rice water after you cook your rice. However, it has many possible benefits. Discover them here!
Rice water has become very popular lately since it’s not only good for your hair and skin, but also possesses other possible health benefits. Rich in vitamins and minerals, rice water is recommended if you’re suffering from diarrhea or vomiting and to stimulate the production of breast milk.
In Asia, rice water is one of the best-kept beauty secrets for the amounts of vitamins and nutrients it has that may benefit the skin and hair. Do you need more reasons to hold onto your rice water now?
This article may interest you: 2 Ways to Use Rice to Cleanse Your Skin
The possible health benefits of rice water
Rich in B-vitamins, folic acid, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc, rice water gains its properties during the cooking process of rice. White rice is ideal, since during the cooking process it loses more properties than whole-wheat rice.
Here are some of its biggest health benefits:
- Provides natural energy.
- May help treat gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
- May reduce the risk of gastroenteritis.
- Helps regulate body temperature.
- May help relieve skin irritation.
- Recommended for pregnant women to induce breast milk production.
- May reduce your risk of constipation.
The antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals present in rice water do wonders for the skin. It may help protect your skin from the sun’s damaging rays, fight inflammation and irritation, and reduce your risk of premature aging.
Read more here: Which Kind of Rice is Best for Your Figure?
One of its most impressive components is inositol, a complex element that promotes the growth of cells and stimulates blood flow which can help reduce your risk of premature aging and reduce the appearance of pores.
Here are some of its biggest possible beauty benefits:
- Smooth and even skin.
- An excellent natural tonic.
- Opens clogged pores.
- Adds a protective layer to the skin.
- For shiny and soft hair, apply to your hair and scalp.
Ways to prepare rice water
Many think that rice water is what’s left over after you cook rice, but they’d be mistaken. You can use that water but it doesn’t contain the same benefits as true rice water which is what’s left over after boiling.
- 1/2 cup of white rice
- 4 cups of water
- In a pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rice and let boil for 20 minutes.
- Once done, strain the rice and place the water in a glass container.
- If you want to apply it to your skin, cool it in the refrigerator and apply with a cotton ball.
Pregnant women should drink 8 to 10 cups of cooled rice water per day.
In countries such as Mexico, it’s traditional to sweeten the water with sugar and flavor it with cinnamon. It can be served with dried fruit, although you should consume it without adding anything if you’re using it to treat diarrhea.