Everything You Need to Know About Castor Oil
The external use of castor oil can be useful for you, both aesthetically and medicinally. This is because it's perfect for relieving muscle pains, among other things.
Castor oil comes from the plant of the same name. Sometimes they also use the leaves.
It contains fatty acids, and these give it its incredible properties.
This bush is toxic and is part of the Euphorbiaceae family.
Castor has been cultivated and enjoyed for centuries. And, today, it’s possible to find it in all warm climates.
- It’s grown year round and its size changes depending on the climate it’s in. In warm areas, they use it to decorate lawns.
- In temperate climates, it reaches a height of 8 to 10 ft. While in tropical climates, it can reach up to 40 feet tall.
- Cold climate can be fatal for it. This is because castor doesn’t survive freezes.
Characteristics of the castor plant
In the structure of the castor plant, both genders are present in a single plant.
- Its leaves are large. They can measure anywhere from approximately 5 to 14 inches in diameter. However, with proper care, they can reach up to 23 inches.
- These leaves have varying colors. They go between purples, reds, and greens.
These are found in clusters and they can reach a length of 4 to 20 inches.
As we already said, the castor plant, in its extensive structure, has both masculine and feminine genders. These appear in two distinct types of flowers in florets or inflorescences.
Now, we will discuss the differences between both of these:
- Feminine flower: It has a diameter of 0.5 to 1 inch. They are located in the upper part of the floret. They have an ovary that is made up of three leaves and a pistil designed for capturing the pollen.
- Masculine flower: It measures between 10 and 12 inches. It’s on the lower part of the floret. it has a calyx and petals that measure up to 5 inches.
Since castor oil uses the word “castor” some people think it comes from beavers (Castor canadensis).
However, castor oil has nothing to do with beavers. It comes from a plant.
The benefits castor oil has for your body.
You can enjoy the benefits of castor oil’s pain relieving properties. To alleviate pain caused by arthritis, you need to heat it (so it’s warm, not hot) and apply it on the affected area.
You can apply it directly with the help of a cloth. Repeat this treatment as many times as you think it necessary.
This oil helps to relax and tone your muscles. It also helps to alleviate pain that shows up in your body.
It is especially effective for controlling repetitive back pain for some people that is caused by bad posture.
How do you use it?
To enjoy its benefits, you need to apply a warm bit of oil with smooth, circular massages in the area you have pain.
If you want, you can repeat this treatment up to two times per day.
Bags under your eyes
This oil helps to reduce the problems and ugliness of bags under eyes. These bags are a product of tiredness or a genetic condition.
How do you use it?
- You should apply a little on a daily basis. Use gentle taps to stretch your skin and leave it on for a few minutes.
- This way, you’ll get the nutrients to penetrate your skin. And, you’ll make the affected area look better.
Your eyelashes usually fall when you rub your eyes, because of makeup, and similar things. Some people have weaker eyelashes than others. This can be discouraging.
Luckily, castor oil helps to promote eyelash growth.
How do you use it?
- To enjoy the benefits, you need to apply it on a daily basis with an unused, completely clean mascara brush.
- If you use it every night, after a little while, you’ll see the changes.