Diabetes is an illness that affects how your body processes glucose, and causes high blood sugar levels. Here we will discuss some natural ways to control and maintain healthy levels of glucose and treat diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes is an illness which affects the way in which your body processes glucose. The pancreas usually produces insulin. However, in people with type 2 diabetes, the pancreas doesn’t produce as much as it should, causing the levels of glucose in the body to rise to problematic levels.
Nevertheless, with simple dietary advice and some natural supplements, many people are able to maintain normal glucose levels in their body naturally.
- Stevia rebaudiana is the first food that you should keep in mind. This Paraguayan plant has been shown to have excellent benefits, not only as a natural sweetener without calories, but also for its many healthful properties, the first of which is regulating glucose levels in the body. You can take infusions three times a day, or you can take it directly as an extract or a pill. It is important to make sure that you are taking pure extract, which is dark in color, and not a refined sweeter, which can lessen the benefits.
- Cinnamon can improve your levels of glucose and lipids. You can take it in pills or you can consume it in your food, in infusions, or cooked in plant-based beverages.
- Brewer’s yeast: it contains chromium, which can help regulate your sugar levels.
- Fresh water cress also contains chromium.
- Fresh peas, which act as a vegetable-based insulin.
- Hazelnut-based beverages are delicious and also contain soluble fibre, which can regulate the absorption of sugars.
- Oats can help maintain good levels of blood sugar.
- Salads containing garlic, onion, and carrot are also beneficial.
- Whole carbohydrates are indispensable. Try to consume whole-grain rice around three times a week.
- Soluble fibre (which can be found in foods such as oats, barley, fruits, vegetables, or nuts) slows down digestion and the absorption of carbohydrates, reducing the release of glucose into the blood, which occurs after eating and the insulin response. This can contribute to allowing people with diabetes to have greater control over their glucose levels.
- Natural coconut water, with hypoglycemic action.
- Reishi, maitake, and shiitake mushrooms are natural regulators of glucose levels, and also have many other beneficial properties for the body.
Keep in mind that your emotional health can have an influence on your overall health, and thus also on the state of you diabetes. According to author Louise Hay, diabetes can hide nostalgia for things that might have been, a great need for control, or a profound sadness. These emotional imbalances in our life often go hand in hand with physical imbalances in our body.
For emotional problems you may also find comfort in Bach flowers, homeopathy, or other natural therapies.
In order to treat whatever ailment in a natural way, it’s always important to keep in mind the state of your intestine, which can become a large source of toxins. If you have constipation, its important to drink a lot of water, eat fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts, dried fruits, flaxseeds, etc.
Sunbathing (gradual exposure to the sun during hours of less radiaton, especially in the summer) and exercising daily can also help you to require less insulin.
Learning to breathe through your diaphragm is another great therapy for controlling the excess of sugar in the bloodstream.