Natural Solutions For Cold Sores
Herpes simplex is an infectious inflammatory disease produced by a virus characterized by the appearance of skin lesions formed by small blisters grouped together and surrounded by a red ring. Today we will give you some advice on how to discover their causes as well as how to fight and prevent them with proper diet, medicinal plants, and natural remedies.
Find the Trigger
Most people who suffer from herpes suffer from cold sores frequently, yet others, including couples, may never have them. This proves that the virus is dormant in certain people, and that there are determining factors that can trigger their appearance. It is important to decide which is the factor and avoid it in the future. The most frequent issues are stressful situations or deep emotional depressions. When we are going through that sort of situation, we should raise our defenses so that cold-sores do not reappear.
Harmful and Helpful Foods
There are some foods that contain nutrients that can provoke, in some people, the appearance of cold sores. We recommend that they be removed from the diet for a time to evaluate whether or not they are the culprits, or that you stop eating them as soon as you notice the first symptoms:
- Dried fruit: almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts
- Sesame seeds
- Wheat germ
On the other hand, the following foods can be very beneficial for us:
- Brewer’s yeast
Raise Your Defenses
Since herpes is a virus, it is important to jumpstart the immune system to fight it off, and it is important to do so with natural remedies because it will allow the body to raise its defenses in the future. With which supplements can we raise our defenses?
- Echinacea: Echinacea is a medicinal plant that is vital for our immune system. We can take it during three months and then rest for a time. Ideally, take it in the spring and falll, or when we notice that we need it.
- Propolis: This is an excellent natural antibiotic. When we notice the first symptoms of a cold-sore, we can take 5 drops each hour until the symptoms vanish, as well as applying a small amount topically to help heal. As a prevention, we will take up to five drops, three times a day, wiht a little bit of water or juice.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is one of the most important supplements we should take to maintain good health.
- Zinc: This trace mineral inhibits the reproduction of viruses in cells.
Essential oils contain potent medicinal ingredients, as they are a concentration of the therapeutic properties of the plant.
In the case of cold sores, there are various essential oils that are very useful:
- Ravintsara: You can apply this essential oil topically. It is the best aromatherapeutic product to fight against infections of all sorts, and it very well may be our best option for natural treatment.
- Tea Tree Oil: Once of the most well-known essential oils, as it works for all skin infections. We can also apply a drop directly on the cold sore.
- Niaouli: Also can work to treat cold sores and help them to heal, but you cannot apply it directly to the sores. We can prepare a natural ointment by mixing together some drops of the essential oil with some natural substance that forms the base: beeswax, vegetable oil (sesame, olive, almond, argan, coconut, etc.), aloe vera gel, etc.
These oils may be applied several times a day.
Grapefruit Seed Extract
This extract, which we can buy from a naturopath or at a natural food and supplement store or online, has demonstrated its capacity in various studies to kill or inhibit the growth of a large amount of potentially harmful bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites. Also, it is very rich in vitamin C.
We can take it according to the manufacter’s instructions and also apply it topically.
Lip Care Advice
In addition to the aforementioned remedies, it is important to take care of your lips daily. Protect them from the cold with hydrating and nourishing lip balms, when possible, made from natural ingredients, and protect them from the sun with lip balms with UV protection. Every once in a while, we can do a gentle peel to regenerate the skin on our lips by mixing a little oil with sugar. Rub the lips gently with the mixture and after, moisturize well.