Natural Remedy to Sleep Better
Falling asleep can be difficult at times, and in fact, not sleeping well can turn into a daily disorder. Sleeping well is one of the most important habits to cultivate for good physical and emotional health. However, modern lifestyles, the distractions of electronic devices, and other worries can reduce your sleep quality and lead to many disorders that can affect your health.
Many of us don’t realize it, but sleep disorders also affect children. We often don’t pay enough attention to their sleep quality and don’t realize that they have problems sleeping too. Sometimes we believe that by putting them to bed that they’ll fall immediately asleep like little angels, but sometimes it’s the complete opposite. Let’s look at a few natural ways to sleep better.
How can I sleep better?
To combat sleep problems, in both children and adults, it’s important to make some changes to your nightly habits, which are vital to properly relax and sleep better.
- Eat dinner at least two hours before going to sleep: Many people make the mistake of eating before going to sleep without giving the body enough time to properly digest food. It’s really important to change this habit as it’s much better to eat something light at least 2 to 3 hours before going to bed. This gives the body time to digest and helps avoid interruptions to your sleep.
- Avoid stimulants: Drinking alcohol, tea or coffee, and smoking can directly influence sleep problems because they contain stimulants.
- Avoid using tablets, cell phones and other electronic devices before bed: If you want to sleep and rest better, you should avoid using tablets, cell phones, televisions and other electronic devices. Several studies have found a link between using these devices and sleep problems. Experts recommend avoiding their use at least an hour before bed.
- Take a relaxing bath: A warm bath with essential oils with relaxing properties can help you sleep better.
- Infusions: Drinking infusions can also improve the quality of your sleep. Some infusions possess relaxing properties to help you sleep better and prevent problems like insomnia. Some of the most recommended infusions include: chamomile, mint, passionflower, linden, lemon balm, verbena and thyme, among others. Whichever herb you choose, just boil a cup of water and add a few leaves or flowers, let brew for 5 minutes then drink 20 or 30 minutes before going to bed.
Essential oil ointment for better sleep
While keeping the above recommendations in mind, a good way to sleep better is to prepare this ointment with essential oils with relaxing properties that will help improve the quality of your sleep.
- ¼ cup cocoa butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 12 drops chamomile essential oil
- 10 drops eucalyptus oil
- In a small sauce pan, use a double boiler to melt the cocoa butter with the coconut oil.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and then add the essential oils.
- Place it in the refrigerator for a few hours. It’s ready when it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Take a small amount of the ointment and gently massage the feet before going to bed. The massage will help you relax and fall asleep faster.
- Put on cotton socks and immediately go to bed.
Keep in mind!
This natural product is an alternative for combating sleep problems and sleeping better. Because it’s natural and non-toxic, it can be used on children 5 years of age and older. However, this remedy is not a cure for chronic sleep disorders, which must be treated by a specialist. It’s really important to consult your doctor if you suffer from recurring sleep problems.