Natural Relief for Endometriosis
Endometriosis is a very common problem that causes a lot of pain for some women. Fortunately, a healthy diet and some natural remedies can help relieve the symptoms. Keep reading to find out more about endometriosis and some of the different natural treatments that women have found effective.
What is endometriosis?
They say that a woman has endometriosis when the tissues on the inside of the uterus (which sheds and flows out of the body during menstruation) start to appear and flourish outside of the uterine cavity, such as in the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, the bladder and the intestine.
These areas can also get inflamed during menstruation, which may in turn cause a lot of pain. They may also bleed. The main symptoms of endometriosis normally include the following:
- Intense pelvic pain, cramps in the pelvic region during menstruation or chronic pain. The pain and cramps may also occur around the spine and down the thighs.
- Very heavy periods.
- Pain when emptying the bowels and having sex, especially during the week before menstruation.
- Nausea, dizziness and vomiting, a couple days before your period.
- Experts haven’t discovered what actually causes endometriosis, but scientists think it’s due to a hormonal imbalance. The production of too much estrogen is a probable cause.
A balanced diet can help
The first thing that is recommended as a natural remedy for endometriosis is a balanced and healthy diet. Try these tips:
- Avoid consuming large amounts of dairy and meat. Many dairy products and meats available in the supermarket contain xenoestrogens, which can cause the pain associated with endometriosis.
- Avoid coffee and cola type drinks. These drinks contain caffeine, which can make your symptoms worse.
- Increase the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables that you eat on a daily basis. By doing this, you increase the amount of fiber and vitamins you consume. The fiber will help you maintain a healthy digestive system and prevent inflammation. It is possible that the vitamins may also help relieve the main caused by endometriosis.
- Eat more foods that are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These fatty acids help to control the production of prostaglandins, the hormones responsible for menstrual pain. Foods like tuna, sardines, flax seeds, golden flax seed and pumpkin seeds contain these wonderful substances.
Other ways to relieve the pain
The following methods can help you relieve the symptoms of endometriosis naturally:
- Exercises that help with stress. Prolonged periods of stress can cause hormonal imbalances which may increase the pain. Practicing yoga or breathing exercises that help to relieve stress and make you feel a lot better.
- Acupuncture. This is an ancient method from traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) which has proven to be a very effective pain reliever. It is practiced widely across Europe and America.
- Heat therapy. When you feel a cramp coming on or menstrual pain, apply a hot compress on the affected area. This will help relax the muscles and ease the pain.
Remember that if the symptoms persist or are very intense, the best thing to do is consult a doctor you can trust.