A Natural Ointment To Alleviate Respiratory Congestion
Thanks to the properties of these ingredients, this natural ointment can be a very effective treatment to alleviate cold and flu symptoms, but remember that it won’t cure them.
Respiratory tract congestion is not just uncomfortable, it can develop into more serious health problems such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
Respiratory congestion is characterized by the excessive production of phlegm and the feeling that you’re not able to breathe in as well as you should be.
It’s very commonly associated with viral infections that affect the health of the lungs. It can also occur as a symptom to an allergy, and it’s almost always the first sign of a cold.
Currently, there are plenty of medications and products that can help you cope with congestion so it doesn’t affect your quality of life.
There are also some natural remedies, which, although they may be old, continue to provide an excellent and powerful alternative to medications.
This is the case for a powerful homemade natural ointment whose properties improve respiratory function while alleviating congestion and discomfort.
Are you ready to learn how to make it?
Natural ointment to alleviate respiratory congestion
This natural ointment for congestion is made with ingredients that have antihistamine, expectorant, and emollient properties to relieve the symptoms of colds, the flu and other diseases that affect the lungs.
When used topically, it can reduce congestion and may even help alleviate other unpleasant symptoms, such as coughing, watery eyes, and sneezing.
Its oils are derived from herbs that have been used for centuries for these types of applications:
The benefits of mint essential oil
Mint is an aromatic plant that has been present in medicine and culinary arts for centuries.
In many cultures, people value it for its antiseptic and expectorant properties that help reduce inflammation and open the airways.
Essential mint oil soothes a sore throat and has a cooling effect that improves your ability to breathe.
The benefits of eucalyptus oil
The natural scent of eucalyptus may help cure inflammation of the airwaysmay help cure inflammation of the airways and facilitate the removal of any mucus that is obstructing them.
Essential eucalyptus oil is helpful for people who get asthma attacks and it can improve your breathing due to common problems like colds.
It’s frequently used in the preparation of ointments and sprays to soothe coughs, sore throats and chills.
The benefits of thyme oil
Thyme essential oil is extracted from the leaves of this plant and it has a fresh herbal smell that helps mitigate the stress of respiratory problems.
Thyme stands out because it is a natural tonic and antibiotic that facilitates the removal of viruses and bacteria that invade the body.
When you inhale its aroma, you absorb its therapeutic properties into your bloodstream and lungs to provide relief.
How do you make this decongestant ointment?
Before we explain the steps you take to make this natural product, it’s important to be aware of the fact that essential oils should not be confused with synthetic fragrance.
When you purchase these essential oils be sure to ask if they are 100% organic and free from any additives.
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (96 g)
- 2 dried mint leaves
- 2 eucalyptus leaves
- 10 tablespoons of beeswax (150 g)
- 2 teaspoons of eucalyptus essential oil (15 g)
- Two teaspoons of mint essential oil (15 g)
- 2 teaspoons of thyme essential oil (15 g)
- Heat the olive oil and add the dried mint and eucalyptus leaves.
- Let this sit for a few minutes while heating the beeswax in a double boiler.
- Add the oil mixture to the beeswax and when everything has melted and combined, remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the essential oils and stir with a spoon until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour this product into a small jar or a metal can, such as an old Vicks VapoRub container.
- Wait for a few hours until it solidifies.
Mode of application
- Take the amount of ointment that you consider necessary and gently spread it onto the chest, back or soles of the feet using a massaging motion.
- If you have a headache or stress, it’s also useful when applied to the temples.
- Store this product in a cool, dark place so it will last longer.
- Another trick is to add vitamin E oil, which will help it last for up to a year.
Finally, remember that this is a natural remedy for the symptoms of respiratory illnesses, not a cure for the disease itself.
If your symptoms don’t improve in a week, talk with your doctor as soon as possible.