My Routine Doesn’t Give Me Time to Rest - What Do I Do?
Today we’re immersed in a world full of information and thousands of responsibilities which, quite often, prevents us from getting enough time to rest. The question is, then: “My routine doesn’t give me time to rest, what do I do?”
Here, we’ll give you a series of tips and tricks on what we can do to get more rest and have a better quality of life.
Consequences of not having enough time to rest
Many articles have already emphasized this point. For example, the Institute of Sleep, based in Madrid, has claimed that if we don’t rest we can experience the following symptoms:
- Bad moods
- Less ability to handle frustration
- Lack of concentration
- Memory problems, and more
In addition to these consequences, other research highlights the fact that there is a clear relationship between hours of sleep, or rest, and quality of life.
No doubt, you know all of this, because we hear it all the time. However, sometimes our work or study routine doesn’t leave us enough hours in the day to get enough rest. What can we do to change this?
You may be interested in: Improve Your Sleep Quality with these Healthy Bedtime Habits
My routine doesn’t give me time to rest: what do I do?
So, how do we avoid feeling tired when our life is so busy and we barely have seconds to spare, between notifications on the phone, pending tasks, emails to be answered and other stimuli we constantly receive?
Firstly, it should be noted that there’s a difference between physical and mental fatigue. However, both of these have their implications.
Research on this subject indicates that when we experience mental fatigue, we can feel feelings of failure, hopelessness and helplessness, as well as low self-esteem, restlessness and an inability to concentrate. As for physical fatigue, this can lead to headaches and osteoarticular disorders, as well as sleep disorders.
Of course, this influences behavior, since the person with fatigue may choose to consume coffee excessively, or other stimulants. Furthermore, it could result in poor performance on a personal and work level. It could also cause conflicts in the interpersonal sphere, whether in family or work environments.
What can we do to get better rest?
So, what are the recommendations that we should follow if we don’t have time to rest, but we still have other things to do? Next, we’ll share some strategies with you that you can apply to improve your quality of life:
- Firstly, understand that you and your physical, mental, and emotional health are the priority.
- Try to find moments of silence. This is important in order to experience peace of mind. We already know that it’s difficult to live without noise, especially in cities, but you can choose not to turn on the radio one day a week in the car. You could also have a shower without listening to music, or try to meditate to calm your thoughts.
- Turn off your phone for a while, as well as any screen you may have nearby, so that you no longer perceive the sounds of notifications. This way you won’t be affected by the risks of screen light, which can be very harmful, as experts have confirmed.
- Find out if there are any issues or problems to solve that are getting at you emotionally. You need to learn to let them go, even if it means forgiving.
- Delegate responsibilities in your workplace. You might think that nothing will work out without your participation, but learn to trust your team and give them tasks according to their abilities.
- See how it goes, and if necessary, make some changes to your routine.
- Help yourself with relaxing massage sessions.
Don’t forget to read: 5 Natural Muscle Relaxants You Should Try
We want to emphasize the need to simplify life. Often we take on too much, but we just end up getting overwhelmed and sick.
A great thinker, called Epicurus, has a philosophy that’s good for us today. He said we should look to live for maximum pleasure, but we can also find this pleasure in everyday things, such as food, pleasant conversations, or art.
The philosopher also reminds us of the importance of never putting our health at risk by taking unnecessary risks. We should always avoid things that bring suffering to our lives. Make sure you put it into practice!