This Mint and Ginger Drink Activates Your Metabolism
In addition to adding this ginger and mint drink to your routine, it's important to avoid a sedentary lifestyle and to get plenty of sleep to increase your metabolism.
Some people need to activate their metabolism because they have trouble losing weight despite dieting. A slow metabolism means your body burns less calories, leading to weight gain with little effort. This article will show you how to prepare a delicious and refreshing mint and ginger drink that will naturally activate your metabolism.
What is metabolism?
Metabolism is the process by which our bodies convert the food we eat into energy.
It determines how much energy we spend and is related to body temperature, breathing, circulation, etc. Therefore, it’s essential that our metabolism works correctly—not too fast and not too slow.
A metabolism’s slowness can be mild or more severe. In these cases, it’s usually caused by another condition, like hypothyroidism or insulin resistance.
In any case, it’s often related to a hormone imbalance.
It’s important to consider that eating small amounts or not eating enough calories also slows metabolism as a survival mechanism.
That’s why we don’t recommend low-calorie diets to lose weight. Ideally, you should eat more protein and healthy fats, and eat less carbohydrates, especially refined ones.
Is your metabolism slow?
Indications that your metabolism is too slow include:
- Weight gain with little effort
- Difficulty losing weight despite dieting
- Tendency to gain weight around the waist
- Sensitivity to cold
- Frequent fatigue
- Trouble getting up in the morning
- Slow or heavy digestion
- Frequent constipation
Keep in mind that some medication (like contraceptives) can decrease metabolism.
Mint is a medicinal plant that’s very stimulating and refreshing. It can also help you lose weight and burn fat. What’s more, its digestive properties activate the stomach to fight feelings of heaviness and bloating.
Mint’s great advantage is that it stimulates the body without causing jitteriness.
This is in contrast to other beverages like coffee, alcohol, and cola. Though they may give you a boost, it’s only temporary and may be accompanied by adverse health effects.
Ginger is another natural and healthy stimulant, much like mint. Known for its warming quality, it stands in perfect contrast to mint’s freshness to activate the metabolism.
This root increases perspiration, aiding your body to eliminate liquids and toxins. That’s why it’s one of the best remedies for losing weight without starving yourself.
It also boasts digestive, antibiotic, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, it’s highly recommended that it be ingested regularly, especially by women.
A drink to activate your metabolism
To prepare this drink that activates your metabolism, you’ll need:
- 1 small sprig of fresh mint leaves
- 1 piece of fresh ginger or a teaspoon of ground ginger (6 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- Stevia to taste for sweetening
- To make this refreshing drink, you only have to blend the ingredients with the water and strain the mixture.
- Sweeten with stevia, and drink hot or cold.
- For the drink to be effective, it should not be taken with meals and preferably on an empty stomach. This way, you’ll start your day feeling energized and ready to burn calories.
To activate your metabolism, you should also:
- Sleep the amount of time needed and make sure that its restorative.
- Drink water throughout the day, on an empty stomach, and between meals.
- Exercise at your usual intensity. Muscle mass increases your metabolism. We recommend practicing sports in intervals.
- Eat five meals a day without skipping any, especially breakfast. Dinners should always be light and eaten not too late.
- Incorporate hot spices into your diet (cayenne pepper, ginger, etc.), green tea, or ginseng.
- Take cold showers or alternate temperatures.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle and don’t stay seated for long periods of time without standing.
- Stay away from miracle diets, and eat a healthy and balanced diet.