Easy Appetizer Recipe: Mini Empanadas
When friends and family come together in the Caribbean and South America, empanadas are usually there, too. After all, they’re easy and quick to make and they’re delicious. There are all kinds, too, making them easy to personalize for the event and your taste buds. All that to say that you have no excuse to not give these mini empanadas a chance.
They’re a bit different than traditional empanadas. The size (and therefore the cooking time) is smaller since they’re mini empanada appetizers. They go wonderfully with garlic, onion, or any other homemade sauce.
They’re usually filled with chopped beef or chicken, but just like with salads, they’re really like a blank slate. In other words, you can fill them with whatever you like! Likewise, you can choose between frying them with oil in a pan or baking them; either way they’ll retain their distinctive, delicious flavor.
These mini empanada appetizers are high in calories and protein, but the cook has a lot of leeway. You’re the one who can make it healthier if desired; it all depends on the quality of the ingredients and cooking method.
How to make mini empanada appetizers
Maybe you’re thinking, “This is going to be too much work just for having a few friends over. I’ll just buy a few bags of chips.”
Sure, you’d save a few minutes that way, but when you consider your health, you may think differently.
You’re probably aware that chips and the like are full of processed fat and harmful MSG (monosodium glutamate). MSG is an additive that basically makes you feel more pleasure when you consume it.
There’s another, even more basic, reason to opt for homemade mini empanada appetizers.
What is it?
You get to see every single ingredient that goes into them, and you are the one in charge of what you’re putting into your mouth, nobody else.
The old saying “you are what you eat” always holds true. However, please forget about those all-or-nothing myths about eating animal protein. Remember that it’s all about serving sizes and moderation.
So, now you know the pros and cons (if you want to put it like that) of this scrumptious recipe, it’s time to head to the kitchen. Let’s spend a few minutes making an appetizer that will have everyone going, “Yum!”
Please note that these mini empanadas taste much better with sunflower oil. However, if you would rather bake them than fry them, don’t worry.
You can try this recipe: Baked Empanadas
Ingredients for Mini Empanada Appetizers
- 1 tomato (110 g)
- 1 tablespoon of salt (25 g)
- 1/2 red pepper (60 g)
- 3 cups of water (400 ml)
- 2 medium onions (150 g)
- 6 cups of chopped meat (600 g)
- 5 cups of corn flour (500 g)
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (90 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted margarine (25 g)
- 2 tablespoons of cumin (50 g)
- A rolling pin
- 2 glass containers
- A pan
Instructions for Mini Empanada Appetizers
- First of all, wash all of the vegetables. Drain well and set aside.
- Then, mince the onion, tomato, and red pepper.
- Next, saute the vegetables with the margarine.
- Then, immediately add the chopped meat, along with the salt and cumin. Mix well and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Now it’s time to make the dough. Add the water and corn flour to a medium-sized bowl with a pinch of salt.
- All that’s left is to make it into a smooth, moldable dough.
- Take a handful of dough and roll it flat with the rolling pin, then add a dollop of the filling to the middle.
- Fold it in half and seal the edges with your fingertips. Add them to a hot pan with oil, cook on both sides until golden, and that’s it!
- Enjoy your mini empanadas plain or with a bit of sauce (whichever you like). Bon appetite!