How to Make Vanilla Slice
In this article, discover an amazing vanilla slice recipe that you can easily make when you're craving something sweet.
Vanilla slice is an amazing dessert that you’ve probably seen in birthdays and special meals. It combines excellent flavors and delights your palate layer after layer. When it has a cold and wet touch, it’s even more delicious.
Let’s learn how to make it at home.
Before we delve deep into the recipe, we’re going to share part of the story behind this exceptional dessert. It’s believed that this pastry is French. However, it’s also very common in some South American countries.
On the other hand, vanilla slice, as I already mentioned, is composed of layers. But do you have any idea what those layers are made of? The answer is puff pastry.
Previously baked, they form the “backbone” of this delicious dessert. The truth is that this cake will probably surprise you and you’ll like it even more than you first thought.
However, remember to always keep your health in mind. You should consume desserts occasionally and moderately.
This article may interest you: Four Homemade Low-Calorie Desserts
What You Need to Make Vanilla Slice
- 2 cups of unsalted margarine (360 g)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk (125 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of pisco(15 ml)
- Two rectangular puff pastry sheets (300 g)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (15 ml)
- 6 tablespoons of sugar (90 g)
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar (45 g)
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch (45 g)
- The first thing you have to do is make the pastry cream. To do this, you need to mix the cornstarch with a splash of milk. Then, set aside.
- Then, beat the eggs and margarine with the sugar. You’ll notice it’ll take a foamy texture. Then, set aside.
- Now, mix the rest of the milk with the pisco and vanilla extract and heat until it reaches its boiling point.
- After that, turn off from heat and stir in the eggs, margarine, and sugar mixture.
- Then, put the entire mixture on low heat and finally add the cornstarch and milk.
- Keep stirring until the mixture thickens. It should be smooth and lump-free.
- Pay attention to the consistency of the mixture. It’s important to continue stirring even as it cools. Otherwise, it might not set.
- After you finish the pastry cream, refrigerate.
You should also read: 6 Delicious Desserts Your Family Will Love
Puff Pastry Layers
- Cut the puff pastry sheets in half and set aside the rest for later use.
- Cover a baking pan with parchment paper and place the cut puff pastry layers on it.
- Then, make sure the pastry sheets are well placed on the bottom. To do this, pierce them with a fork and make sure they don’t lift up.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top of the layers.
- Preheat the oven to 365°F and bake the puff pastry layers for 15 minutes.
- After this time, remove the puff pastry layers from the oven and set aside on the oven rack.
- Take the pastry cream out of the fridge, beat it again to make sure it’s smooth, and pour it into a pastry bag.
- Now it’s time to start assembling the vanilla slice. First, add a layer of pastry, then cream, then another layer of pastry and powdered sugar.
- Repeat this procedure until you finish all the layers
- Finally, sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Remember to put it in the refrigerator after you’re done.