The so called “energy drinks” are in style. They are non-alcoholic drinks made with certain stimulants like caffeine or taurine, as well as sugars to help you fight fatigue. But are they good for your health? In this article, we will give you some alternatives of natural energy drinks that don’t have any side effects.
People in food competitions say that there are no rules in regards to this type of drink. They don’t abide by the requirements like soft drinks, but aren’t dietary, and although they act as stimulants, you have to be careful when consuming them because of the side effects they can cause if you consume them in excess amounts or if you suffer from some kind of illness. Let’s look at it in detail.
Risks of Energy Drinks for Your Health
- Recently, the EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) did a report that concluded that drinking energy drinks is not dangerous as long as it is done properly.
- The main risk is in two substances: taurine (which can affect your brain) and d-glucoronolactone, which affects your kidneys. The report stated that the risk margins happen when you consume it everyday. It’s best to not drink more than 125 mL a day if you frequently drink it. However, evidently, you should know your own health.
- One of the main problems of energy drinks are the excess content of caffeine and their calorie content, which is far higher than coke drinks, for example. Drinking caffeine regularly can overstimulate the nervous system and cause headaches.
- If you consume a lot of energy drinks, you can suffer from arrhythmia and intestinal problems.
- Sometimes these drinks say they have natural elements in their ingredients. Experts say that in reality they are powerful diuretics, and you must be careful with them.
- The taurine, ephedrine, guanine, and arginine based composition can put people with coronary and other problems in grave danger.
- Studies state that if you drink two or three cans a day, you can have headaches, anxiety, lack of concentration, and mood swings.
Make Your Own Natural Energy Drinks
Coconut and Spirulina
- 500 mL of coconut water
- 1 capsule of powdered spirulina (you can find these capsules in herbal stores, pharmacies, and even conventional supermarkets. The amount is noted on the capsule itself).
Put the coconut water in the bottle that you are going to use to drink out of. Also, add spirulina powder and then cover the bottle and shake. This is a very high energy drink because coconut water is rich in potassium, while spirulina contains magnesium, essential amino acids, and B vitamins (B1, B2, and B6).
Orange and Linseeds
- The juice from two oranges
- 2 tablespoons of linseed oil
First, get the juice from two oranges. Then, mix the orange juice along with two tablespoons of linseed oil. As a result, the mixture will be more homogenous. Next, put it in the freezer for ten minutes if you want to drink it cold. This drink has a great amount of magnesium, potassium, and C vitamins. In regards to the linseed oil, it has the ability to lower the sugar content of oranges in the blood, which is why it is great for your health.
Banana and Spinach
- 1 banana
- 3 spinach leaves
- 1 glass of cold water
Start by washing the spinach well. Then peel the banana and put it in the blender along with the spinach and a glass of cool water. Try to get a homogenous juice. If you would like, you can add a few ice cubes and even a teaspoon of honey. You will get an excellent amount of potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium from this drink.
Ginger and Turmeric
- 1 slice of fresh and minced ginger
- 1 pinch of powder turmeric
- 1 small tablespoon of honey
- 1 glass of cool water
First, wash and mince the ginger. Then, put the ginger and turmeric in a cup of boiling water to get an infusion of them. Allow it to sit for ten minutes and then strain it. In order to get a fresher drink, add a glass of fresh water and ice cubes if you would like. These spices are very high energy and healthy, with a interesting taste that will improve your circulation and will give you energy naturally.