How to Make Melon Water to Lose Weight and Sleep Better
Melon is a refreshing fruit that has been valued since ancient times for its high vitamin, fiber and essential mineral content. It’s made up of more than 90% water and is therefore ideal for hydration and weight loss.
Melon has only 25 calories, around 6% sugar and 13 grams of complex carbohydrates per 100 grams. It’s also rich in antioxidants and free of fat and cholesterol.
While many consider it a summer fruit, others include it in their diets as a supplement for weight loss and improving sleep quality. Even though it’s better known for its refreshing qualities, it’s proven that its consumption promotes weight loss and processes that lead to better sleep.
What are the benefits of melon?
Melon is a fruit that belongs to the “giant vegetable” family, which also includes watermelon, squash and zucchini. It grows in sandy soil and is considered to be one of the best fruits of summer.
The popular varieties are of European and North American origin, but it’s believed to have originated in Central Asia and Africa. Among it’s properties we find:
- High levels of vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant nutrient that’s good for the skin and mucous membranes, as highlighted in a study published in Nutrition in Clinical Practice.
- It also contains flavonoids, compounds that protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Regular consumption protects vision and lowers the risk of retinal degeneration and refractory disorders.
- It lowers arterial hypertension and prevents various kinds of cardiovascular illnesses due to its high potassium content.
- It’s a source of vitamin C and magnesium, two essential nutrients that strengthen the immune system against viral and bacterial infections, according to research published in Nutrients.
How does melon water help you lose weight?
Melon forms part of fruits called “fatburners” due to their ability to help shrink your waist in a natural, healthy way.
- Being rich in detoxifying substances makes it easier to eliminate built up toxins in the body and therefore helps the metabolism.
- It acts as a natural diuretic, ideal for regulating liquid in body tissues and reducing inflammation.
- Thanks to its high water content, it’s one of the best fruits for hydrating the body and extending the feeling of being full.
Why does melon water help us sleep?
Melon water is a beverage that doesn’t contain additives, artificial sugars or preservatives. Instead, it’s a significant source of essential nutrients that, among other things, can help you sleep better.
For some time this has been a popular remedy for insomnia as it quenches thirst, hydrates the cells of the body and keeps you satisfied until the next day.
Although ignored by many, dehydration is one of the factors that can interrupt a deep and refreshing sleep.
How to make melon water
Melon water is a very effective way to increase daily liquid consumption. Its flavor is refreshing and you can enjoy it anytime during the day.
However, if you’re trying to lose weight, it’s best to drink it 30 to 40 minutes before breakfast.
- 1 cup of ice.
- 1/2 cup of water (125 ml).
- One teaspoon of honey (25 g).
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (10 ml).
- 2 cups of melon pulp in cubes (300 g).
- Peel the melon and cut into cubes so it’s easier to blend.
- Put the melon in a blender and add the lemon juice, honey, ice and water.
- Blend for a few seconds until smooth and uniform.
How to drink it
- For weight loss, drink before breakfast and every main meal.
- If you want to sleep better, drink it a couple of hours before going to bed. At this time you can accompany the drink with a few drops of melatonin to further improve the quality of your sleep.
Drink water with lemon
This detoxifying beverage has less than 150 calories and is a source of nutrients that are essential for bodily functions. Go ahead and make this at home to discover the daily benefits it brings your body.
Keep in mind that for it to have a positive effect on health, it must be introduced in the context of a healthy diet. It’s also important to practice physical exercise on a regular basis, as this ensures weight control and the maintenance of an adequate body composition.