You may have run out of your makeup remover or because you want to start using more natural products to take care of your skin. There are different options to remove your makeup without resorting to chemical or store bought products. Learn how to make homemade makeup removers in this article!
Recommendations for Removing Makeup
It all depends on how much makeup you have put on your face and above all, what area you apply the most. If you are someone who puts on a lot of mascara and eyeliner on your eyes, you might need to spend more time removing makeup because most tend to be waterproof. The same thing can happen with your mouth if the lipstick is high quality or you have put a lot on.
For the rest of the areas of your face, it can be easier. Wash well with warm water and neutral soap to remove excess makeup and make the cleaning task go “deeper”, if you like. Keep in mind that this will not completely remove eye shadow, blush, base, etc. so you should continue the task later. You also won’t spend more than a couple minutes and the good news is that result is a much prettier, radiant, bright, and clean face.
Never go to bed with makeup still on your face because the next day you will wake up with blemishes everywhere because you don’t allow your pores to “breath”. This will make your skin more oily, have more acne, pimples, or blackheads. Even if you are very tired, you should take five minutes to remove your makeup.
If you wear contacts, you should take them out before starting to remove your makeup because the product can get in your eyes and cause irritation or burning or even deform your contact lenses.
Natural and Homemade Makeup Removers
- Natural yogurt recipe: put a layer of yogurt on your face, leave it on for 10 minutes, and remove with a cotton ball or tissue that you can wet with a little bit of warm water.
- Warm milk: heat a few tablespoons of milk for a few seconds and soak a cotton ball in it. Apply it to your face with small pats and press more firmly where you have more makeup (like your eyes), but not too much to irritate it or hurt yourself. Don’t forget to rinse well after you finish.
- Olive oil: this is best for people that have dry skin. Just put a few drops of olive oil on your face and spread it everywhere by gently massaging it. Remove with a tissue soaked in warm water. If your face gets too oily, rinse with neutral soap and warm water. Olive oil is great for removing makeup on your eyes because it won’t make this delicate area irritated.
- Almond oil: this is for women that have oily skin. It won’t affect this kind of skin because it won’t make it more greasy but will instead “counteract” the effect. Apply it the same way as the olive oil.
- Chamomile and olive oil: make a chamomile infusion and let it cool. Soak a cotton ball in it and add a few drops of oil. Apply it to your face, especially on your eyes. It takes care of this sensitive area and also reduces the swelling of eye circles and bags.
- Almond oil: as you can see, oils are amazing homemade makeup removers. In this case, it offers its amazing hydrating properties as it also removes makeup. It is for sensitive eyes. Just put a few drops on a cotton ball and put it directly on your skin. You can mix it with castor oil to strengthen and lengthen your eyelashes.
- Jojoba oil: another natural idea for removing makeup in a few minutes. It gives smoothness and elasticity to your skin. To apply, mix a tablespoon of jojoba oil with two of water. Soak a cotton ball in this and massage it in circles while you watch your makeup disappear.
- Vaseline: this can be an efficient makeup remover for mascara and eyeliner, because its oils dissolve cosmetics perfectly. Put a little bit (you won’t need a lot) on a tissue, cloth, or cotton ball, and gently apply it too the area that you want to remove the makeup from. Because it is very thick and oily, you will need to wash or rinse it with warm or hot water.
- Canola oil: if you mix it with olive oil, you can remove any kind of makeup in seconds. You will need 3 or 4 teaspoons of each kind in a cup. Soak a cotton ball in it and gently pats, you will see how it absorbs your makeup. Don’t forget to rinse your face once you are done.
- Strawberries: to make this strawberry makeup remover, you will need five big strawberries and three tablespoons of natural yogurt. Mash the fruit and mix with the yogurt. You can put it in the blender to do this faster. Apply it to your face by gently massaging in circles and leave it on for a few minutes. Then, remove with water and put a cotton ball soaked in warm water on your face so that any makeup or mask is completely gone.
- Yogurt and lemon: it is a great idea for any kind of skin. You just need to mix a tablespoon of natural yogurt with a tablespoon of lemon juice. Spread it all over your face, neck, and even your cleavage because it will help exfoliate and clear your skin up. Leave it on for a few minutes and then remove with a moist cotton ball.