Make a Delicious Neapolitan Style Pizza
Discover the secret to making a Neapolitan pizza at home. No one will be able to resist your homemade pizza!
Neapolitan style pizza has crossed borders and is one of the most popular pizzas in the whole world!
Would you like to learn how to make it at home? Keep reading to find the step-by-step recipe.
Neapolitan style pizza
Unlike what many people think, Neapolitan pizza isn’t just a type of pizza, but a way of making it that naturally has its secrets.
The main aspect that differentiates this pizza from others is its dough, which gives a tall and soft crush, which is very different from the Roman-style pizza, which has a thin and crispy crust (and in some places is known as the classic “stone oven” pizza).
Below, you’ll find step-by-step instructions to make this delicious pizza.
Preparation time (including dough rising): More than 24 hours
Let’s discover together how to make a real Italian pizza, in this case, a Neapolitan one that has a tall and spongy crust. We’ll show you how to make the classic and famous Margherita pizza. However, you can add whatever toppings you like, of course!
If you’re on a diet, don’t keep yourself from eating a homemade pizza every once in a while. You should pay attention to the ingredients to pick the best option that doesn’t interfere with your plan to keep your ideal weight.
Ingredients for 2 large pizzas
- 450 g of full strength flour
- 250 ml of water
- 12 g of salt
- 2.5 g of fresh yeast
- Extra virgin olive oil (as much as you need)
- 400 g of crushed tomatoes
- 250 g of mozzarella
- Fresh basil (to taste)
- Salt and oregano (to taste)
Discover: Easy Steak Neapolitan Recipe
How to make a Neapolitan style pizza
Making the dough
- First, put a little water in a bowl and set off to the side.
- Then, dissolve the yeast in another bowl. Set it to the side.
- Put the flour in a large bowl and add the water with the dissolved yeast. Stir to mix well.
- Next, take the bowl with water from the first step and dissolve the 12 grams of salt in it.
- Add the water with salt to the flour and yeast mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- When you have a sticky dough, it’s time to use your hands. Mix with your hands until you make a ball with the dough.
- After that, put a bit of flour on the counter and start to knead the dough. You should knead it for a while until all the ingredients are well mixed. Neapolitan pizza makers insist the dough should “slap itself” to get the right texture.
- Once you’ve made a uniform ball, put the dough in a bowl, cover it with a towel and let it rise for a day. During this time the dough will triple in size.
- After it has risen, spread flour on the counter again and put the dough there.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Put each part in a bowl, cover with a towel, and let them rise for another hour.
Making the sauce
- First, add the crushed tomatoes to a bowl and add two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well.
- Then, add the oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Save for later.
You might be interested in: Two Crab Cake Recipes You’ll Definitely Want to Try
Making the pizza
- After the dough rises the second time, take one of the balls and stretch it out on the floured table, giving it a round shape. If you don’t have a round mold, you can make it square or rectangular. Try not to handle it too much to keep it from losing air.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Celsius (480 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Then, put the baking sheet that you’ll use for the pizza in the oven. A true Neapolitan style pizza would be cooked in a wood oven, but if, like most people, you don’t have one at home, a regular oven will still allow it to come out great. If you have one, you can use a pizza stone to give the bottom a crunchier texture.
- Next, spread two tablespoons of sauce on the pizza.
- Spread olive oil on the pizza peel to keep the dough from sticking, and use it to put the pizza in the oven. If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can place the pizza directly into the preheated baking sheet or tray.
- After that, cook the dough for 8 minutes
- Remove from the oven and add the mozzarella.
- Then, place the pizza in the oven again to finish cooking it for 10 to 12 more minutes.
- Decorate it with basil leaves.
Ideas for your Neapolitan style pizza
- In Argentina, for example, Neapolitan pizza has tomato sauce, mozzarella, and slices of tomato sprinkled with salt and oregano. Give it a try. It’s delicious!
- You can add all sorts of ingredients to the recipe above: mushrooms, York ham, artichokes, anchovies, olives, bacon, onion, pepper, sausage, or anything else you can think of! Some pizzerias offer varieties with béchamel sauce and spinach instead of cheese, for example.
- You can also make a pizza salad to include more vegetables in your diet.
Unleash your creativity and make a Neapolitan pizza with all kinds of ingredients. You can even throw a pizza party and make all the kinds you can think of!