Lose Weight by Eating Bread (The Type Matters)
Medical and nutrition specialists have revealed something really interesting: you can lose weight by eating bread, but you must include in your diet the healthiest type of it. Do you want to know what it is? We will explain below.
Is It True That I Can Lose Weight by Eating Bread?
Dr. Felix Gomez-Guillamon Arrabal is a medical specialist in Internal Medicine and an expert in Nutrition at the USP Hospital de Marbella (Malaga, Spain). It is he who published an interesting book entitled “Lose Weight Eating Bread,” where this interesting issue is approached.
To understand a little bit more how this idea is justified, you need to know the truth about the effects of eating bread or not on your body.
We recommend the following article: How to Make Healthy and Light French Fries
4 Truths About Eating (or Not Eating) Bread
1. Bread Is Good for Your Digestion and Energy Levels
Generally, when starting a weight loss diet, the first thing most people do is quit eating bread. What does this accomplish? They lower our index of carbohydrates and fiber, their digestion slows down and they end up suffering from constipation, not to mention a lack of energy as a consequence.
2. Bread Is Good for Your Brain
According to what Dr. Gomez-Guillamon explains, all of us need two basic elements to live: oxygen and glucose.
Our body uses bread as a source of glucose. Perhaps at reading the word “glucose” you think immediately in body fat. Well, some interesting accumulations must be made. Glucose is essential for our brain. This organ needs 20% of our energy, and it is precisely glucose which feeds it.
3. Bread Is Good for Your Liver
When we eat bread, our body retains half of the produced glucose. One part is converted to energy, and the other part feeds the liver. Glucose is important for this organ because it helps it to carry out many of its functions.
However, the problem arises when there is an “excess” of glucose. When this happens, our body tends to retain water, and for this reason, often we appear bloated.
4. The Type of Bread and What You Put on It Matter
Bread, for its part, does not make us gain fat. The risk is in what we include with the bread and the kind of bread we choose. The types made with refined flour are the most harmful.
If we choose to do without bread in our diet, we will have less carbohydrates and less glucose. What does this mean? Well, instead of losing fat, we will actually have less energy, which will in turn reduce our muscle mass. The skin will become flaccid, we will suffer from constipation and we will have less glucose for the brain and liver.
Thus, it is ideal to eat bread in a balanced way, always choosing the best. In this way, our basic functions will be optimized and we will not lose muscle mass but instead we will lose weight in a healthy way, without the bothersome “flaccidness” of skin.
What is the Best Kind of Bread That We Can Eat in Order to Lose Weight?
Rye bread, without a doubt. Its flavor is really good and it combines well with many other foods; or even just eating it alone is very tasty. You can find it in many bread stores, supermarkets and natural stores. And you can even make it yourself, if you’re good at cooking.
Health Benefits of Rye Bread
Do you want to know why it is recommended to include rye bread in your diet in order to lose weight by eating bread? Take note!
- Rye bread contains a good supply of carbohydrates, but in this case, they are slow release. What does this mean? That it will give us more energy for a longer period of time and that, with an appropriate amount, we will feel much more satisfied.
- Rye bread is rich in vitamins E and B, phosphorus, zinc and magnesium. There are very few grains that are so healthy.
- Rye bread also acts as an excellent natural laxative: it is perfect at regulating the intestinal tract. It is rich in fiber and can improve our digestion.
- Another wonderful fact that should convince you to include this bread in your diet is that it helps with regulating the absorption of simple sugars. Thus, it helps us to avoid suffering from type 2 diabetes and also keeps us from gaining weight.
- Furthermore, rye bread is ideal to control cholesterol levels in the blood. It traps the triglycerides in the intestine and prevents our body from absorbing them. It is simply marvelous.
- Another interesting fact about rye bread is that it can help with improving blood circulation. This is due to its content of linoleic acid.
- Rye bread helps regulate hypertension.
See also: The Best Fat-Fighting Breakfasts
Be Careful What You Put on Your Rye Bread
One final fact that you should keep in mind is that although rye bread is very beneficial, you must be careful what you put on it. Don’t use butter or jams, for example.It’s better to use olive oil, avocado, smoke salmon, grilled turkey or other healthy choices that won’t make you gain weight.
If you follow a varied and balanced diet, one free of fats, you will be able to lose weight by eating bread!