Further, medical and nutrition specialists have revealed something really interesting: you can eat bread and lose weight at the same time, but you must include in your diet the healthiest type of bread. Do you want to know what it is? We will explain below.
Can bread help me lose weight?
Dr. Felix Gomez-Guillamon Arrabal is a medical specialist in Internal Medicine and an expert in Nutrition at the USP Hospital de Marbella (Malaga, Spain). It is he who published an interesting book entitled “Lose weight eating bread,” where this interesting issue is approached. To understand a little bit more how this idea is justified, you only need to keep in mind these points:
- Generally, when starting a weight loss diet the first thing most people do is quit eating bread. What does this accomplish? We lower our index of carbohydrates and fiber, our digestion slows down and we end up suffering from constipation. Not to mention a lack of energy as a consequence.
- According to what Dr. Gomez-Guillamon explains, all of us need two basic elements to live: oxygen and glucose. Perhaps at reading the word “glucose” you think immediately in body fat. Well, some interesting accumulations must be made. Glucose is essential for our brain. This organ needs 20% of our energy and it is precisely glucose which feeds it.
- When we eat bread, our body retains half of this glucose. One part is converted to energy and the other part feeds the liver. Glucose is important for this organ because it helps it to carry out many of its functions, however, the problem arises when there is an “excess” of glucose. When this happens our body tends to retain water, and for this reason often we appear bloated.
- Bread, for its part, does not make us gain fat. The risk is in what we include with the bread and the type of bread we choose. Those made with refined flour are the most harmful.
- If we choose to do without bread in our diet, we will have less carbohydrates and less glucose. What does this mean? That, instead of losing fat, we will actually have less energy which will in turn reduce our muscle mass, the skin will become flaccid, we will suffer from constipation and we will have less glucose for the brain and liver. Thus, it is ideal to eat bread in a balanced way, always choosing the best. In this way, our basic functions will be optimized and we will not lose muscle mass but instead we will love weight in a healthy way without the bothersome “flaccidness” of skin.
What is the best kind of bread that we can eat in order to lose weight?
Rye bread, without a doubt. Its flavor is really good and it combines well with many other foods; or even just eating it alone is very tasty. You can find it in many bread stores, supermarkets and natural stores. And you can even make it yourself, if you’re good at cooking.
Do you want to know why it is recommended to include rye bread in your weight loss diet? Take note!
- Rye bread contains a good supply of carbohydrates but in this case they are slow release. What does this mean? That it will give us more energy for a longer period of time and that with an appropriate amount we will feel much more satisfied.
- Rye bread is rich in vitamins E and B, phosphorus, zinc and magnesium. There are very few grains that are so healthy.
- Rye bread further acts as an excellent natural laxative, perfect at regulating the intestinal tract. It is rich in fiber and will help us improve our digestion.
- Another wonderful fact that should convince you to include this bread in your diet is that it helps to regulate the absorption of simple sugars. Thus it helps us to avoid suffering from Type 2 diabetes, and also keeps us from gaining weight.
- Also, rye bread is ideal to control cholesterol levels in the blood. It traps the triglycerides in the intestine and prevents our body from absorbing them. It is simple marvelous.
- Another interesting fact about rye bread is that it will help us to improve blood circulation. This is due to its content of linoleic acid.
- Rye bread helps regulate hypertension.
One final fact that you should keep in mind is that although rye bread is very beneficial, you must be careful what you put on it. Don’t use butter or jams for example. It is better to use olive oil, avocado, smoke salmon, grilled turkey breast… By following a varied and balanced diet, one free of fats, you will achieve the weight loss you desire.