Smoothies are sometimes known for helping pack on the pounds due to their high sugar and fat content, but if we make them with the right ingredients, we can actually make delicious smoothies that are sweet and creamy, and can also help you lose weight.
We advise you to set aside only one day a week for drinking these smoothies as a meal replacement. That way our digestive system can rest. These smoothies are easy to process, which can help you lose weight by offsetting any excess or unhealthy consumption of food other days of the week.
- Smoothies let us mix different ingredients together, including things that we may not normally like, without noticing individual tastes
- In general, we usually don’t chew our food as thoroughly as we should, but smoothies make it easy for food to get to the digestive tract
- Because smoothies have a thick consistency, they satisfy our hunger cravings
- We can combine different foods according to our preferences and focus on what best meets our body’s needs
- We can add natural supplements to smoothies, which make them even more nutritious and therapeutic
- Smoothies contain the required amount of carbohydrates, protein, and fats that the body needs for efficient energy production
- Smoothies can provide an appropriate break, following a period of excessive food consumption
How do we prepare them?
First we pick a day of the week that doesn’t require a great deal of physical or mental effort, because the body will be working hard to detox and regenerate itself.
Drink approximately three to ten smoothies throughout the day. It’s important not to go hungry, but we should also wait a good amount of time between smoothies to allow for thorough digestion.
Drink smoothies slowly, savoring and even chewing parts of the blended beverage. For people who are more accustomed to eating solid food, you can even consume thicker smoothies from a bowl using a spoon.
It’s ideal to always choose the same day of the week for this, so that the body gets used to a cleansing routine.
Always avoid using tobacco products or other unhealthy habits.
During the day, engage in gentle exercise like yoga or tai-chi, breathing exercises, meditation, relaxation, etc. You can also go on easy walks on the beach or simple hikes.
In addition to consuming smoothies, drink plenty of water throughout the day. You can also opt for detoxifying teas to help clean out our system. For example:
- To strengthen the liver: make a tea with milk thistle, dandelion, boldo leaf, and artichoke
- To detox the kidneys: make a tea with burdock root and horsetail grass
- To improve bowel function: try sin and linseed oil
- To purify the skin: use nettle teas
- To soothe the nervous system: mix passion flower, lime, and valerian root
The following are ingredients that we add to each smoothie. To avoid problems with digestion you shouldn’t choose more than one ingredient from each category to add to the same smoothie:
- Fresh fruit: apple, pear, pineapple, strawberry, papaya
- Ripe banana
- Baby spinach
- Ripe avocado
- Ground nuts: almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, hazelnuts
- Dried fruit: plums, raisins, dates
- Vegetable-based beverage (oat, rice, soy), natural, fresh apple juice or water
- Brewer’s yeast: excellent supplement for the skin, hair, nails, and nervous system, and also provides energy
- Wheat germ: wheat germ is a great antioxidant, and a good source of vitamin E
- Powdered bee pollen: this is a nutritious superfood that helps fight fatigue and exhaustion, while supporting the body’s natural defenses
- Cold pressed flax seed oil: this oil is rich in fatty acids
- Extra virgin coconut oil: this highly nutritious oil will add a delicious, subtly sweet flavor to smoothies
- Spirulina powder: spirulina is one of the best superfoods available. Adding a little bit to a smoothie won’t change its taste, although it will add a green color to the smoothie
- Wheat grass powder: this is a great cleansing agent and also a good source of minerals
To add sweetness, choose one of the following:
- Golden syrup
- Maple syrup
Sometimes, a ripe banana can add just the right kind of sweetness to your smoothie.