“Light” Soft Drinks Can Increase Belly Fat
Now then, it is important that we keep in mind a number of aspects. If you really don’t want to gain weight, it is best not to consume any type of soft drink, and even less those soft drinks which are considered “light” because instead of helping us to avoid storing body fat, just the opposite happens: they increase our waistline. We will give you all the details below.
Light soft drinks, that in reality, are nothing of the kind
A recent study by the University of Texas revealed information that, to a certain degree, we already knew: light soft drinks are not much different from those considered regular and, in addition, they pose a greater risk since it has been discovered that they cause an increase in abdominal fat and of the waist line.
The study was conducted over nine years and the consumption habits of about 900 people from the United States, Mexico, and Europe were analyzed for the research. To accomplish this they divided the test subjects into three groups:
- Occasional drinkers of light soft drinks (between 1 and 3 glasses a week).
- Regular drinkers of light soft drinks (5 or more each week).
- People that have never drank any type of soft drink.
And what were the results? The facts are surprising. For example, the people that consume between two and three glasses of light soft drink each week showed an increase between 1 and 2 inches (2.54 and 5 centimeters) in their waistline. Those that consumed these drinks regularly had an increase on average of some 3 inches (7.62 centimeters) or more. Those that never consumed soft drinks did not have any increase because, in general, they strove to live a healthy life which does not include sugars or soft drinks even those considered light.
To what conclusion do these facts lead us?
- Light soft drinks still have a lot of calories.
- Sharon Fowler, the director of this study, revealed that the light soft drinks (carbonated sodas) are directly linked with serious illnesses such as diabetes, myocardial infarction and, of course, obesity.
- Obviously, a person’s lifestyle will make these facts more or less relevant. If someone drinks light soft drinks only once in a while (2 cans per month), nothing will probably happen, and even less if they have an active lifestyle and do not regularly consume fats or sugars. However, the risk is for those who drink a minimum of 4 cans each week (or more), have a sedentary lifestyle and do not have a balanced diet. As the years go by they will suffer an increase of abdominal fat and, as you already know, this is a direct risk to our health.
Other risks of light soft drinks
Light drinks contain a very high dose of sweeteners. If they are consumed regularly, our sense of taste will gradually become unable to perceive natural sweeteners, for example, in many fruits.
Increased risk of Type 2 diabetes
If you usually drink one can of light soft drink each day, you should know that you will have a 36% greater probability of suffering Type 2 diabetes. According to a study carried out by the University of Minnesota (United States), this type of drink elevates even more our tensions, our bad cholesterol and, as you already know, the fat that tends to accumulate in our waist line.
They have no nutritional value
Soft drinks have a very enjoyable taste, that we know. They are wonderful in the summer and for those family lunches or enjoying with friends on the weekend. However, they provide no nutrition for our body, no vitamins, no minerals. They are stimulants that alter many of our basic functions and instead of quenching our thirst, actually make us more thirsty.
And remember replacing regular soft drinks with “light” does not make them any better.
They can give us a headache
If you are someone that often suffers from migraines or headaches, it is better to avoid all carbonated drinks, whether they are regular or light.
They can damage our teeth
This fact is very important. According to a study published in the magazine “General Dentistry,” soft drinks accelerate dental erosion dental and weaken the enamel. This is all due to the citric acid that is found in its composition. And if you start today to avoid this type of drink? Your smile will thank you.
They can damage our bones
If you are a woman and you have begun to have problems with your bones, you should stop drinking carbonated drinks starting today. Light soft drinks are also associated with the wearing down of bone mass and the loss of bone density, most of all in the hips.
They can damage our heart
How can light soft drinks damage our heart? The risk of heart problems is evident from the moment this type of drink increases our bad cholesterol level and causes hypertension.
Thus, remember, soft drinks are not good for your health, and never let yourself be deceived for the supposed benefits of light soft drinks: far from being helpful, they continue to be a risk.