You Deserve to Be Happy
If you don’t look after your own happiness and well-being, there aren’t too many people who will. We'll reflect more on this topic in this article.
You deserve to be happy in life. While it’s important to be aware that not all of your dreams will come true, you can learn to be content with what you have and accept the many good things that do come your way.
Is it an act of selfishness to say out loud that you deserve to be happy? Of course. But it’s something that everyone deserves – just as we all have the right to be loved, valued and respected.
Nothing is more vital than focusing on living a happy life. However, you need to have one thing perfectly clear in your mind: it’s no use waiting around for someone or something else to “make you happy.”
If you want to be happy, you need to start by focusing on yourself.
If you want to be happy, you need to decide what you want and don’t want in life
In order to be happy, you really don’t need all that much. Anyone who thinks that happiness comes from having a long string of zeros in their checking account or an army of friends in their contact list is sorely mistaken.
All you need is a life that’s filled with dignity and independence, where you can surround yourself with the people who are truly important to you.
- We can often find happiness in the simplest and most humble acts. The most important thing is to know what you want, to find the one thing that truly reflects who you are, and that will bring real pleasure to your life.
Doing the things you enjoy and are proud of is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.
Everything else will simply become “accessories,” things which, in some cases, can actually cause more problems than they solve.
- Knowing what you truly want out of life isn’t always easy. It first requires having some life experiences to help you set certain expectations.
Learning that there are certain people whose personalities don’t match yours – if you’re introverted, for example – will help you prioritize having a few close friends rather than a large circle of acquaintances. These are things that we usually only learn over time.
Discover: The Secret to Happy Relationships
You deserve to be happy, valued and respected
This is an essential rule that you must never forget: you already know what you deserve. In order to put yourself first and care for your self-esteem, you also deserve respect from others.
It may sound obvious, but if you don’t first have love for yourself it’s easy to be misled or manipulated by the desires of others. It’s easy to lose yourself in motivations that are not your own, to the point where you put your own happiness aside without even knowing it.
It’s not worth it. Defend what’s yours, defend your character, your space, and your personal values. Everyone deserves to be respected as well as valued for who they are.
- Parents need to recognize and respect their children so that they grow up in a happy and emotionally secure way. This helps them develop good self-esteem that they can cultivate from day to day.
- In order to be happy, you also need respect and love from your partners. In addition to caring for yourself, there must be reciprocity for you to establish a happy and stable relationship.
- Expressing your need to be respected isn’t selfish. You deserve respect from your family, your friends, your coworkers and, of course, from your romantic partners.
Furthermore, because you’ve learned to respect yourself, you’re also able to show respect to the other people in your life because you treat others as you want to be treated.
There are many things people wish for in life. Maybe you want a bigger house, or an attractive, kind and thoughtful partner, or maybe your goal is to get yourself a good job. But no matter what it is you hope to achieve, you should always aspire to be happy with your life, before anything else.
We recommend reading: 36 Questions to Fall in Love in 1 Hour
Being happy is a lifelong goal
It’s important to accept that you might not be able to fulfil all of your dreams in life. But, at the end of the day, happiness isn’t about material things: it’s made up of moments, people, and experiences.
Try to live life with open eyes and an open heart, enjoying the here and now.
- It doesn’t matter if you’re single or don’t have a ton of friends. Just be kind to yourself and learn to count on the people who make you truly happy.
- Sometimes, life isn’t easy and it throws obstacles in your path. That’s why another important aspect you need to watch every day is your attitude.
- A good attitude is one of the important things you can wear. It allows you to face life with courage and optimism.
- A positive attitude can help you to be happy in your everyday life. It can allow you to face reality with strength and integrity, secure in the knowledge that while there will always be bad times, there are also many good ones. If you resist the natural flow of life and get stuck in resentment you’ll only remain trapped in your unhappiness.
You have to learn to look toward the horizon with hope and excitement, putting yourself first and learning to love everything that surrounds you with simplicity and humility.
Note: The information and advice in this article may not be helpful in your particular case. If you need professional help, we would recommend consulting with a mental health specialist.