Lemon, Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar: An Ideal Remedy for Kidney Stones
According to popular wisdom, the mixture of lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar is both a great vinaigrette for salads and a natural remedy to eliminate kidney stones.
Having stones or calculi represents discomfort due to the pain they generate in the lower back or stomach. High levels of calcium oxalate and phosphorus are what produce kidney stones.
According to some beliefs, the citric acid present in lemon has an alkaline effect and can fight the substances that promote the formation of stones. That’s why we’d like to share a remedy with you that combines this and two other healthy ingredients (olive oil and apple cider vinegar) to help dissolve kidney stones.
This remedy can be used in combination with the treatment prescribed by your doctor, although it is important to always talk to your doctor first before trying any natural remedies.
What causes kidney stones?
The accumulation of minerals, both in the kidneys and in the bladder, is the cause of the formation of kidney stones. Normally, these minerals are converted into tiny crystals that are expelled without problems through the urine.
The problem is that they become so large that they cannot be diluted. Thus, they become lodged in the kidneys and urinary tract, causing severe pain. The reason for this excessive accumulation is the lack of water in the body, as well as the consumption of too much sugar or salt, being overweight, and certain hereditary factors.
There are different types of kidney stones:
- Calcium oxalate: This is the most common type of kidney stone and is formed when oxalate combines with calcium. This type of calculus comes from excessive consumption of fried foods, beets, or chocolate.
- Uric acid: This is more common in men and is produced when there’s an excess of this acid in the body. The cause of these stones is consuming too much red meat and/or seafood.
- Struvite: This type of kidney stone is more common in women and tends to increase excessively in size. An infection causes it.
- Cystine stones: This type of kidney stone is not very common and is caused by a genetic disorder.
Next, let’s take a look at some natural remedies to help prevent or treat kidney stones.
Lemon to help dissolve kidney stones
According to popular beliefs, consuming water with lemon within a healthy diet could help dissolve kidney stones, since it can stimulate urination and the elimination of waste through the urine.
Here’s how to take advantage of it:
- One glass of water (250 ml)
- Four tablespoons of lemon juice (60 ml)
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to a glass of water.
- Drink it on an empty stomach or between meals.
- You can drink lemon water in moderation throughout the day.
Olive oil for kidney stones
Olive oil is one of the healthiest foods you can include in your diet. Plus, according to folk medicine, it can also be an ingredient to prepare home remedies that help dissolve kidney stones.
Although it can be consumed in salads and different cooking dishes, olive oil combined with lemon can be a suitable remedy to fight kidney stones.
Here’s how to make it:
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml)
- Two tablespoons of oil (30 ml)
- One glass of water (250 ml)
- Mix two tablespoons of lemon juice and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Then, it’s best if you drink this mixture and then drink a glass of water.
Read: Nutrients and Exercises to Maintain a Healthy, Clean, and Strong Liver
Apple cider vinegar for kidney stones
It’s believed that apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which, when consumed, could stimulate the production of alkaline substances in the body. Thanks to this, kidney stones may be destroyed, and their formation prevented.
Here’s how to take advantage of this remedy:
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (15 or 30 ml)
- One cup of water (250 ml)
- Honey (to taste)
- Add one to two tablespoons of vinegar in a cup of water and sweeten with a little honey.
- Drink it three times a day to decrease kidney stones.
It’s also recommended to add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to your juices or smoothies. Including it as part of the dressing in salads is also a very good option.
Lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar for kidney stones
If you want to combine all the properties of the ingredients explained above, you can prepare a more concentrated remedy. Thus, the results can be even more favorable! However, we must keep in mind that, by combining the compositions of each ingredient, the remedy will have a stronger taste.
Let’s take a look.
Ingredients for this lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar remedy:
- 1 ½ glass of water (375 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice (75 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (15 ml)
How to make this lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar remedy:
- Drink two tablespoons of olive oil and two tablespoons of lemon juice, followed by a glass of water.
- After half an hour, dilute two or three tablespoons of lemon juice and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it.
Other natural remedies for kidney stones
In addition to the remedies mentioned above, there are other natural remedies that may help eliminate kidney stones. Among these we can find:
- Pomegranate juice
- Dandelion infusions
- Thistles (Tribulus terrestris)
- Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)
We know you’ll like this article: Ginger and Lemon, a Perfect Combination for Weight Loss
A healthy lifestyle and prevention of kidney stones
Kidney stones can be easily prevented with a balanced diet without excesses and with good hydration. On the other hand, the ingredients mentioned in this article also may help to strengthen the immune system and may prevent other kidney diseases.
It’s a good idea to also add them to your meals as a form of prevention. After all, lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar are versatile products that have multiple applications that you can benefit from. Enjoy them!