Learn How to Make Delicious Tuna Fillings
There are many delicious tuna fillings that are full of nutrients. They're ideal complement to diets that are meant to help maintain or lose weight.
In general, we often turn to tuna fillings when we need a quick bite to eat that’s healthy and nutritious. Also, even though canned tuna is often used for this purpose, you can use the meat of this fish in other ways.
Tuna meat is quite valued due to its smooth flavor and texture that goes well with several ingredients. Of course, the consistency will vary depending on the type of preparation.
It’s best to choose fresh meat over canned meat because the nutritional value is different (especially when it comes to protein).
Some Facts About Tuna
Tuna is a saltwater predatory fish whose physical features allow it to travel at great speeds. They’re migratory animals that, due to the speed of their movements, develop a very particular fat and musculature. This makes their meat quite sought-after in markets. Therefore, they can be used in a good variety of culinary uses.
Unlike other fish, tuna are warm-blooded fish that can withstand temperatures of 8°C. Therefore, this fish can live in both temperate and tropical waters.
Now, what does tuna meat have to offer us?
Clearly, not only does it provide protein, but also many other nutrients, such as sodium, calcium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, iron, folic acid, omega 3, and vitamins A, B, D, and E, as well as healthy fats.
Overall, it should be noted that tuna is very rich in nutritional value due to its diet that consists of crustaceans and other small-sized fish.
Read this article, too: 5 Signs That You’re Deficient in Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
Tuna Filling Recipes
Canned tuna is mostly used because the characteristics of this fish preserve well and it’s quick to use.
Tuna filling basically consists of shredded canned tuna.
Certainly, tuna that’s sold in cans can come in compact pieces, chips or shredded. The latter consists in separating the meat in pieces (whose thickness can vary, but in general, it’s quite fine).
Here are several recipes that contain canned shredded tuna.
Pisillo, a Venezuelan Recipe
Pisillo is a Venezuelan dish that uses tuna as its main ingredient.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- Water (whatever amount is necessary)
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A pinch of paprika
- 1 fresh tuna loin (250 g)
- 1/2 of a diced pepper
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (15 g)
- Salt, thyme, rosemary, laurel
- Add water to a pot and heat. When it reaches a boil, add the tuna loin and cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once the fish is cooked, turn off the heat and separate the meat from the broth. Pour the broth into a bowl and set to the side. Let the meat cool down to room temperature.
- Shred the meant and take off any remains of skin and bones. Set to the side.
- Peel and dice the onion. Also, peel and chop the garlic into thin slices.
- Heat a frying pan with a tablespoon of vegetable oil (sunflower or olive oil, according to your own preference), garlic and onion. Saute until all ingredients become golden.
- Add the shredded tuna to the frying pan and add the seasoning with salt, pepper and soy sauce. Stir constantly with a spoon to mix the flavor of ingredients. Then add rosemary, laurel and thyme.
- Cook everything in the frying pan for a few minutes and, from time to time, add a little of the broth until it dissipates. Finally, turn off the heat.
- You can serve it with white rice, fried plantains, yucca, cassava, arepas or just bread.
Check out this article, too: Omega 3: More Foods Than Just Oily Fish
Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 1 clove of fresh garlic
- 2 cans of tuna (150 g)
- 1 can of sweet corn (37.5 g)
- 2 boiled eggs
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise (50 g)
- 6 tomatoes for a salad
- 2 cans of sliced, black olives (100 g)
- Salt and black pepper
- Peel the boiled eggs and chop them the best you can. The mixture with mayonnaise can be found below.
- Drain the contents from the cans (tuna, corn, and olives) and add the ingredients to the egg and mayonnaise mixture.
- Peel and cut the garlic cloves into small pieces.
- Add the garlic to the mixture and stir with a spoon to distribute all the ingredients. Add the condiments to your own liking.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them at one end (less than a quarter of the vegetable). Through the opening, use the knife to carefully withdraw the insides, including the pulp and seeds. This way, you will end up getting a sort of an empty shell.
- With a spoon, add the filling into the opening. Cover it with the “hat” of the tomato and you are ready to go!
Tuna fillings can vary greatly, so don’t worry too much about sticking to the same one.
However, eating excess amounts of tuna can be dangerous. Therefore, it’s best to consume tuna a maximum of times a week. In addition, it’s better to preferably eat it fresh. Canned tuna should be eaten only every once in a while.