Learn How to Make Cauliflower Gratin with Bechamel Sauce
Cauliflower bechamel sauce is a delicious way to get multiple nutrients from healthy ingredients without having to give up flavor
Many people don’t ever use this vegetable as a main ingredient let alone consider it to make the famous lasagna sauce. Despite that, we’ve decided to tackle that today. Learn our cauliflower gratin with bechamel sauce recipe, today!
Sure, we get it. Mixing two things that couldn’t be more opposite of each other, like cauliflower and bechamel, is an odd thing to do but don’t shrug it off just yet. As we always say at Step to Health, innovation prevails in gastronomy but this one really delivers on flavor!
So today, we’d like to encourage you to learn this curious, but delicious, recipe that unites two kinds of foods that normally don’t pair together in one dish. However, there’s something you should always think about when cooking: even more important than your favorite foods is your health.
Of course, you’ve probably heard before that “you should take care of yourself more. Stress isn’t good for you”. Stress doesn’t only come from your activities, but it also comes from a considerable lack of quality nutrients and vitamins in your diet.
This cauliflower recipe will leave all of those worries behind. Have you heard of folic acid? It’s an essential component that pregnant women should consume in sufficient amounts. Considering that need, cauliflower is much more than just an odd ingredient, but rather, it’s an ingredient full of this nutrient.
Whether you’re pregnant or if you just feel low on energy, you should know that foods can’t be bad if you haven’t tried them yet.
This is what trying out recipes is all about. We should simply be a bit more daring and find better options to make foods of better quality in terms of taste and health– which is crucial for getting achieving a diet optimal in nutrition.
So, give it a try! Encourage your curiosity and start expanding your gastronomic repertoire. Today, you can learn how to make an incredibly delicious cauliflower with bechemal dish.
Just think: a white sauce with a touch of sweetness that contrasts with a crunchy ingredient– all of this while at the same time being healthy for you.
Also read: 10 reasons to eat cauliflower
How can you make our cauliflower with bechamel dish?
1. Classic recipe
Yup, the dish is just as it reads. You might have thought it’s a bit strange, but there are several variations to this wonderful and healthy dish. Let’s start with the most classic way to prepare it.
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 cup of milk (250 ml)
- 2 cups of Parmesan cheese (300 g)
- 3 tablespoons of butter (60 g)
- ½ cup of wheat flour (75 g)
- 1 tablespoon of salt (15 g)
- First, wash the cauliflower well. To make sure it’s clean and rid of as much bacteria as possible, you should place it in a bowl of water filled with a half water, half vinegar solution.
- Leave it in the water for 25 or 30 minutes. Every few minutes, give it a turn to make sure the the solution covers the entire cauliflower.
- Once the cauliflower is clean, take out of water, dry off and set aside.
- After, bring some water to a boil, adding salt to taste.
- Add the cauliflower and let boil until it softens. Leave it to cool for a few minutes and chop it into smaller chunks and move to a salad bowl.
- Now, prepare the bechamel sauce. In a small saucepan, add milk, salt and wheat flour. Stir continuously and gently.
- Wait until the sauce thickens and add the tablespoons of butter.
- When the sauce thickens, stir a little more and then lower the heat gradually until finally turning it off completely. Remember: the sauce should never boil.
- Cover the bottom of a heat-resistant dish with the sauce and start grating the cauliflower once cool.
- Disperse the grated cauliflower evenly over the top until completely covered.
- Layer on the bechamel sauce in layers with the cauliflower. Continue until the dish is full.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Just before baking the dish, top the dish with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Enjoy the delicious results of a cauliflower gratin with bechamel sauce.