Some Excellent Natural Remedies for Knee Pain
Thanks to the joints in your knees, you can go up stairs, walk, run, jump, and much more. When it comes to movement, this is by far one of the most important parts of the body. That’s why it’s common to sometimes experience certain pain, discomfort, inflammation, and wear and tear. There are many different reasons for knee pain. We’ll explain them all below and give you some natural remedies for knee pain too.
Experiencing knee pain can happen at any age. A bruise, a ligament problem, or the beginning of arthritis can be the most common causes.
What is for sure is that the pain can become paralyzing and affect your quality of life. To help prevent it, you need an active lifestyle and proper diet. But, once the pain starts, you may be able to relieve it with some simple advice. Let’s take a look.
What causes knee pain?
Keep in mind that the knee is the biggest joint in our body. In order for it to have flexibility, the body has complex structures that must always be in good shape: bones, cartilage, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. We’ll now analyse what causes the pain in this part of the body.
Reasons for the pain
- Sometimes you can turn badly on your knee, and suddenly, you feel a strong jerk, like a lash. If you have made an unexpected turn, you may have a meniscus injury. The pain in the knee will happen in a diffused way. After 24 hours, it will be at the most intense.
- You may also get a ligament injury. If you feel pain and cannot put any weight on your leg, then you may have an injury on one of the two ligaments that are in inside the knee joint, which will take a long time to heal.
- Tendinitis and knee bursitis are also common in this type of injury from a wrong movement or impact. It is caused by inflammation of the bursa, which is a small sack full of liquid that acts as a pillow between the bone and muscles or tendons.
Causes of the pain
- Arthrosis: this is due to wear and tear in the joint cartilage. The bones will scrape against each other and you will feel pain during the most simple tasks like going up stairs, for example. This knee pain will be most intense at night. Unfortunately, there is no cure for arthrosis. The only thing you can do is ease it with drugs or natural remedies.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: this is a disease that affects the joints. It causes fatigue, malaise, pain, and even fever. It can appear suddenly and then disappear. The positive part about this is that it can be treated over time. Medication and even the replacement of knee cartilage can restore its functioning. However, your doctor should always be the one who tells you the best solution depending on your individual case.
Remedies to relieve knee pain
The first of our remedies for knee pain is olive oil. Olive oil can be helpful for relieving pain. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can help to stimulate circulation. You can do a gentle massage twice a day with two tablespoons of olive oil and then wrap your knee in gauze.
This is an effective way to reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Just put a bag of ice cubs on your knee for 20 minutes (not longer than this or you will harm your skin).
Remedies for knee pain: wheat flour and turmeric
Another of our remedies for knee pain is a special anti-inflammatory paste made with with milk, wheat flour, castor oil, and turmeric powder.
Firstly, get a half glass of hot water and put three tablespoons of wheat flour, a tablespoon of oil, and a pinch of turmeric in. Make sure the mixture is consistent and paste-like, and then apply it to your knee while it is still warm. This remedy will give you a lot of relief.
There are also foods that will reduce knee inflammation. If you follow a varied diet where these foods are included, it will be very beneficial. Your diet will need to have a good amount of Omega 3 (in salmon, herring, sardines), chia seeds, linseed, broccoli, cranberries, goji berries, turmeric, pineapple, and green tea.
Other recommendations for knee health
- Avoid gaining a lot of weight because knees suffer when a person has obesity.
- Swimming is a great sport to strengthen your knees.
- If you suffer from knee arthrosis, avoid doing strenuous exercises like going for a run or biking for a long time. During periods of sharp pain, it is best to rest.
- Anti-inflammatory medication tends to have many side effects. If you have to resort to medication, acetaminophen is always better.