How the Small Details Help Us to Love Life
It's the small details that help us to love life and the people around us. In today's article we highlight how these small details can transform our lives.
Generally we aren’t aware of the fact that it’s the small things and the people that surround us every day that are the most important things in our life…until it’s too late. Ten out of ten people love the small details in life. These small details don’t need important dates or cliches, and they feed off our daily lives to create a long list of reasons to keep going. They give us reasons to feel humbled and help us learn how to care for the people we love, and to love life at the same time.
This is because it’s the small things that have the biggest impact. They show us the strength in others, and they’re what bring huge smiles to our faces. The small details are always the most important things, because they are what make us grow and be better people every day.
The little things that make us love life
It’s the small things that we fall in love with because they make the difference and help us to love life. They are the reflection of the greatness in people and our ability to love constantly and unconditionally.
But the truth is, we win the lottery every day, in every second and every small detail. Details like getting up every day and having someone you love by your side. Details like falling into a fit of laughter, conversations that last until 3 am, or the sight of the sunset.
What is truly important and what keeps us alive are the small things in our everyday lives. However, you can only realize this if you lose something, or if something goes wrong. This last point is extremely important because whenever something goes wrong, whenever you’re disappointed, there’s still something that can become alive inside.
Small details make great moments
Following a diet, going to the gym or being productive at work are all great daily objectives. However, that is leaving out something that’s even more important: you must become a collector of emotional moments.
This is because emotional moments are what bring happiness to life. In order to get used to this you could start by keeping a daily emotional journal, in which you jot down whether or not you had a special moment. This will then reflect your feelings and emotions.
After a few days of “collecting” these moments, you’ll be surprised at how you become more aware of your relationships. Thanks to the effort you make, you will strengthen your ties with other people. By doing so, you’ll make a great difference to your life, and to other people’s too.
It could also help you to be more attentive to those around you if you create a “love map” for people who are close to you. Your brain will store this information, and help you to be more familiar with the details of other people’s lives.
Details to point out in your “love map”
Below we’re going to list what psychologist John Gottman proposes we need to know when creating our list of small details:
- The favorite dish of a loved one.
- Their favorite movies, TV shows and books.
- At least two people that they admire deeply.
- Their favorite animals.
- Their ideal vacation spot.
- The first thing they would buy if they won the lottery.
- Something that you could do to improve your relationship with him/her.
- What he/she would like to change about you.
- What is their favorite way to spend the afternoon at home.
- The activity he/she feels most competent in.
- What their secret ambitions are.
- In what way does he/she wish to improve him/herself.
- What are their favorite restaurants.
- What type of literature does he/she prefer.
- Their favorite thing to do while sick.
- What would their ideal birthday gift be.
- What currently worries or stresses them.
- Their favorite way of getting your attention.
- What is their most desired, unfulfilled dream.
- What does he/she feel most proud about.
Read more: Happiness is Found in Reality, not Dreams
Men like the small details as well
Many people have the wrong idea that most men aren’t interested in the small things. They don’t appear to appreciate small or subtle things, and they consider certain things to be a waste of time. But they do appreciate the small things, just as women do.
That’s why we need to realize that they, too, deserve things that give them hope, like words, kisses, or unexpected hugs. They like being surprised, because they deserve love too.
Whether you’re a man or a woman, you need to appreciate the people that are around you every day.
It is absolutely necessary that you make the people you love feel special. Show them that they matter to your life, because, in our day to day routines, we forget how important it is to show affection, and to let others see that they are important to you.
This is, undoubtedly, something that keeps love fresh.
- If you are interested in how to improve communication in your relationships, read works by authors John M. Gottman and Joan DeClaire. These books can be incredibly enriching and will help improve the quality of your relationships.
- Photos courtesy of Puuung.