How to Treat Sprain Symptoms Naturally
The constant pain of sprains is always very annoying. Remember that, in addition to medications, rest is very important to alleviate this condition
A sprain is an injury to the ligament that joins two bones together. It’s caused by twisting either your ankle, wrist or knee. Sprains are very painful injuries. Therefore, if you sprain an area that you use frequently, it can be difficult to do your daily activities. In this article, we’re going to tell you a little more about this condition. We’ll give you some natural alternatives to help you treat sprain symptoms naturally.
Whatever body part is hurt, it will be painful to touch it, it’ll swell, and it’ll usually turn a different color. However, you’ll also find that you’re sensitive at very certain, specific areas.
The main symptoms of a sprain are:
- Joint or muscle pain. The level of pain depends on how functional the joint is.
- Inflammation. This is due to the rupture of capillaries and synovial fluid in the affected joint. These build up and make your joint swell. Swelling is a characteristic sign of a sprain.
- Joint stiffness. It’ll be hard to move the joint due to the pain you feel.
- Heat in the affected area. When blood accumulates in the joint, the temperature goes up.
Causes of Sprains
Sprains usually happen from accidentally twisting a joint and stretching the joint tissues. Therefore, the ligament can stretch or tear a lot. It’s not uncommon for your bones to be partially dislocated, as well, but don’t worry: these injuries heal.
In severe cases, you might also have a fracture. No matter what, as long as you take care of it properly, the sprain will heal completely. However, it may take several weeks.
Natural remedies to treat sprain symptoms
Sprains mainly occur due to excess effort during a physical activity. Then, your muscle fibers and joints tear.
Luckily, with natural remedies, you can speed up your recovery. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
1. Water, Vinegar and Salt
These natural products are an excellent help to treat the symptoms of sprains. Additionally, they have soothing effects to relieve pain, improve circulation and decrease inflammation.
- 1 cup of vinegar (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of salt (30 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- First, in a pot, boil the water.
- When it boils, let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Then, after the indicated time, add the salt, vinegar and water to a large container. Finally, submerge your affected joint.
- You can repeat this process two or three times per day.
This spice has powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, relaxing, and analgesic properties. Therefore, this natural remedy is very beneficial to treat the symptoms of sprains.
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder (30 g)
- 5 tablespoons of water (75 ml)
- First, mix the ingredients to form a paste.
- Then, spread it to your joint.
- Cover it with a bandage and let it act for 10 hours.
- Do this for one week.
This plant is an excellent natural remedy that helps strengthen and heal joints. Because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it helps soothe pain, swelling, and other sprain symptoms.
- 4 tablespoons dried arnica flowers and leaves (60 g)
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- First, in a bowl, boil the water.
- When it reaches a boil, add the flowers and leaves and remove it from the heat.
- Then, let it cool 20 minutes and pour it in a wide-mouthed container.
- Submerge the sprained part at least twice per day.
4. Cayenne Pepper
This natural remedy stands out for its analgesic properties. Additionally, its active component capsaicin is responsible for relieving pain and reducing swelling. These are common sprain symptoms.
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (5 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- In a pot, boil the cup of water and add the cayenne pepper.
- Drink it three times per day.
Onion is very useful to treat sprains because it helps reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon of salt (5 g)
- First, mash the onion well. Add the teaspoon of salt, and stir to form a paste.
- Finally, place it on the affected area and cover it with a bandage.
- For best results, we recommend doing this remedy at night.