How to Prepare Exquisite Baked Fish
Baked fish is one of the best ways to enjoy the healthy benefits of fish. This recipe is simple to make and delicious. Give it a try!
Fish that’s baked in its own juices is an excellent option when you have guests over or when you want to enjoy a light and healthy family dinner. It can be prepared in a short time and is very easy.
Because it’s a simple recipe, the ingredients should be of the highest quality and the cooking time must be adequate. In this article, we’ll share some recommendations with you for how to make delicious baked fish at home.
How to Choose Good Fish
For this recipe to be successful, the most important thing is that you buy very fresh, good quality fish.
- If you buy a whole fish, one way to check it for freshness is by looking at the eyes. If the color is clear and bright and you can see the iris, it’s a good sign that the fish is fresh.
- In addition, if the eyes are dark or have black veins, it may have been sitting too long at the market or grocery store. The same is true if you notice shiny skin or scales that easily flake off, or if the gills are a grayish color.
- If you’re buying cut fillets, you should verify that the meat is firm to the touch and smells vaguely like the sea. If the fish has its skin, verify that the skin is well-attached to the flesh. When a fish has been out of the water for a long time, the skin starts to peel off.
Read: How to Identify Bad Fish
Types of Fish and Cooking TechniquesThere are lots of types of fish on the market. To make the best baked fish, you should know the key characteristics of certain species that you choose. It’s important to conserve all the nutrients.
White fish have flesh of exactly that color. They’re lean with a low fat content. For this reason, you have to be careful not to dry them out when preparing them. Some of the best known fish in this category are hake, sole, grouper, and cod.
- A good way to prepare this fish is by wrapping the fillets in aluminum foil and baking them in the oven at a medium temperature.
- They’ll also go great with any type of sauce. Hake in green sauce, for example, is widely served in traditional Spanish cuisine.
There are also blue fish like salmon and tuna. These have a higher fat content.
- With a little pinch of salt and some herbs, you’ll get juicy baked fish every time.
Finally, there are fatty fish, which are highly versatile and can be prepared in almost any way. These include croaker, trout, anchovies, and sea bass.
See also: 9 Fish You Should Avoid
An Easy Baked Fish RecipeThis recipe can be made with any type of white or semi-fatty fish. We’ve chosen hake for this case, but you can also choose grouper, croaker, or another type of fish.
- A lemon
- 1 tomato (40 g)
- 1 onion, chopped (40 g)
- Hake fillets (200 g)
- Salt, pepper, and olive oil (to taste)
- Cilantro, parsley, or another dried herb like thyme and rosemary (10 g)
- Season the fish fillets with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Then, chop the onion and cilantro.
- Cut the tomato into very small cubes.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Cut strips of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the fillets in them.
- Brush a little olive oil onto each piece of the foil. Add a layer of onion, tomato, cilantro, and pepper.
- Place a hake fillet on top of these and cover again with another layer of onion, cilantro, and tomato. Season with salt and pepper and add a little olive oil on top.
- Wrap into individual packets. Fold the edges well so the juices don’t escape.
- Place them on a baking sheet or dish and bake for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- After that time, open one packet and check to see that the fish is cooked.
This delicious preparation can be served with white rice or potatoes. It’s a light and healthy recipe, so it’s perfect for dinner.