How to Prepare a Low-Calorie Walnut Sauce
Walnut sauce is very easy to make and it’s another resource when it comes to varying our sauce recipes. Walnuts are the fruit of the walnut tree. There are different varieties of walnuts such as Common, Parisienne, Payne, Pico de Perdiz, Eureka and Hartley.
This walnut sauce is ideal for various types of dishes, including pasta, fish, meat, and salads. It can even be used to stuff peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and zucchini. Want to try it out?
Properties of walnuts
The nut is a dry fruit with many benefits and nutritional properties. Among all the properties, there are benefits in protecting our cardiovascular health and it’s also an antioxidant fruit.
Nuts are a source of healthy fats, they provide us with Omega-3, which is very beneficial for our brain and heart. They also have many antioxidants: vitamin E, and polyphenols. The polyphenols in nuts, together with the Omega-3, have anti-inflammatory effects.
The daily intake of 4-5 nuts is healthy and not fattening, since nuts are rich in fiber and help to cause a feeling of satiety. Eating nuts regularly also helps to keep our intestinal flora in great condition. This is because it increases the number of beneficial bacteria that are part of the intestinal flora.
Scientific studies have shown that nuts prevent oxidative damage and act on bad cholesterol. Also, eating them is considered good for preventing brain cell death. Daily intake protects us against the cognitive decline that usually occurs over the years.
The best time for nuts is in autumn, although we can buy them all year round. The ideal way to preserve nuts without a shell is to keep them in glass jars with an airtight seal to ensure that they’re well sealed and retain all their properties.
Also read: 10 Benefits of Chestnuts in Your Diet
How to preserve the nuts
After buying nuts, the best place to store them is in the refrigerator or freezer, depending on when you’re going to use them. If you’re going to use them immediately, keep them in the refrigerator.
If you have to keep them for a month or more, it’s better to put them in the freezer. However, if you buy packaged nuts, you can keep them in their original packaging. However, once you’ve opened the package, put them in a vacuum pack to keep them fresh.
Another purchase option is loose nuts, with or without their shell. In this case, try keeping them in a vacuum pack so that they stay fresh for longer.
Preparing nut sauce allows you to make the most of the benefits of this food in a different way. In addition, it facilitates its incorporation into regular food. You can enjoy it in your breakfasts, lunches or dinners.
- Peeled walnuts – 16 units
- Evaporated milk (alternative to cream) – 150 ml (5 fl oz)
- Extra virgin olive oil – 50 ml (1.5 fl oz)
- Clove of garlic – 1 unit
- Cream cheese – 1 spoonful
- Salt to taste
- Pepper – 1 pinch
- Hard-boiled egg – optional
- Parmesan cheese – optional
You may also like: The Properties of Hazelnut Milk
Walnut sauce preparation
- Put the walnuts in a pan of boiling water to cook for 5 minutes. Once the walnuts have been cooking for 5 minutes transfer them into a container with the help of a strainer.
- This way the walnuts will be well drained. Then cut them into small pieces and add them to the mixer or mincer together with the evaporated milk, the garlic clove and a spoonful of fresh cheese.
- Grind the mixture until it is homogeneous. Then add some extra virgin olive oil and mix again for a few seconds in the mincer. Next, remove the sauce from the grinder, and season with a little pepper and set aside.
- You can use this walnut sauce with a pasta dish. In this case, mix three or four spoonfuls of the cooking water with the walnut sauce and you’ll get the desired texture. You can add a hard-boiled egg, pieces of walnuts or parmesan cheese as a garnish.
Did you like the recipe? As you can see, it’s very easy to prepare and contains very healthy ingredients. Don’t hesitate to make it at home and enjoy this delicious and nutritious sauce!It might interest you...