How to Make Umbrellas to Decorate Cocktails
Parties are moments that fill life with joy because you can share them with friends and family. Drinks, music, and food are usually the protagonists at these events. In this article, we’d like to bring you ideas for making umbrellas to decorate cocktails, which will give a tropical touch to your celebrations.
Decorations are a way to brighten up gatherings and create a more festive atmosphere. Whether a child or an adult, umbrellas for cocktail decorations are always a good alternative. After all, you can also put them on ice cream, desserts, ice-cream sundaes, or even snacks!
A history of cocktail umbrellas
Umbrellas on cocktails and drinks are a classic detail reminiscent of holidays and beach bars. It also takes many back to childhood, when finding these colorful objects was the most beautiful thing about a glass of ice cream.
However, these curious decorative elements have a history that dates back to 1932, when bartender Harry Yee started using them at the Hilton Waikiki hotel and made them popular.
They’re inspired by Chinese paper umbrellas and were first used in response to the need to be creative with materials after a severe economic crisis. If you look closely, these objects are quite simple: a wooden stick with a piece of colorful paper.
The invention has been so popular that it’s included in cocktail books today.
You’ll definitely like this article: 8 Healthy Foods that are Trending in 2021
Materials to make cocktail umbrellas
Umbrellas to decorate cocktails are very easy to make at home. Although traditional umbrellas imitate Chinese rice paper umbrellas, it’s possible to make various types of umbrellas, with slight variations depending on what you have available.
Here are the most common materials needed:
- Glue, silicone, or tape
- Cardboard, tissue paper, or colored crepe paper
- Wooden toothpicks or skewers
A step-by-step guide to make umbrellas to decorate cocktails
Once you have the materials ready, creating the umbrellas is very simple. The final results will also depend on your creativity and your effort.
Below, we’ll share with you the step-by-step guide to make three different styles of umbrellas. You can even make all three types for the same celebration!
1. Tissue paper umbrellas to decorate cocktails
Tissue paper is a delicate material with a soft texture that can be used to make many crafts and wrap gifts. This paper allows you to finish almost identical to the most typical Chinese umbrellas.
However, you must be careful not to tear it because it is delicate. Here are the steps:
- Draw a circle on the paper that will be the canopy of your umbrella and cut it out.
- Then, fold the paper in half twice to form several folds.
- At the same time, prepare the sticks that will serve as the umbrella’s skeleton and the stick which will help you stir the cocktails. In this case, you must glue four sticks of the same size around the radius of the tissue paper so they can open the umbrella’s hood.
- Once the structure is assembled, glue or tape the tissue paper to the figure formed by the four sticks.
2. Cone-shaped umbrellas to decorate cocktails made of cardboard
Cardboard is a harder type of paper than a crepe. Therefore, it’s more resistant. In addition, it withstands ink better, so you can write messages or draw decorations on these umbrellas.
- Draw a circumference of the size you want your umbrella to be. About 3 to 4 centimeters in diameter will be enough.
- Make a mark in the center of the circle and draw a line going from the center to the edges. Then, cut out the line you drew with the help of scissors.
- To form the cone, you must overlap the edges that were left on the side and side of the opening you made in the previous step. Then, glue them so that they’re well fastened.
- At this point, you can take the cone and write the names of your guests to mark the cocktails, draw pictures, or even write inspirational words.
- Put some glue or silicone on the tip of the cone and insert the stick that will serve as the umbrella’s handle.
3. Umbrellas to decorate cocktails made of cardboard, with folds
You can also save these umbrellas from one celebration and use them in another because they’re very likely to withstand the hustle and bustle of the party when they’re made of cardboard. This way, you’ll be reusing an item that’s often thrown away.
- Draw and cut out an octagon. You can look for a model on the internet to guide you better.
- Take one of the octagon sides and draw its edges until you reach the center. You’ll see a kind of triangle form. Then, you have to cut out one of its edges.
- Take the triangle that you’ve cut out and put it under one end so that the edges overlap and form a cone.
- Then, put some silicone or glue on the tip of the cone and attach the cane to the umbrella’s hood.
We know you’ll like to read: The Benefits and Importance of Choosing Seasonal Foods
Complement your decor with other decorations
After reading this tutorial, you already know how to make colorful umbrellas to decorate cocktails and give a summer touch to your celebrations. However, they’re not just limited to decorating drinks.
In fact, these umbrellas are very popular on ice cream for kids. In addition, you can also use them to put on top of snacks.
If your idea is to use them only with cocktails, they’ll go very well with mojitos, piña coladas, coco loco, or sex on the beach. In the case of a tropical party, other decorations will also go very well with umbrellas. You can make mini floats to put on the glasses and cups. It’s also possible to include pineapples and watermelons to reinforce the style.