How to Make Gluten-Free Granola Bars
Being gluten intolerant does not mean you have to deprive yourself of all grains and cereals. Many of them, such as oatmeal or teff, do not contain the gluten protein. This means that you can still prepare delicious gluten-free granola bars and enjoy them without any problems.
If you’re gluten intolerant, enjoying healthy and delicious granola bars is possible. This article includes a few different gluten-free recipes using certain grains that don’t contain gluten.
You’re going to love them!
Gluten is a protein that is found in most grains (wheat, barley, rye, etc). Since it is found in most grains, it’s therefore also found in flour. For this reason, many people wrongly think that people with gluten intolerance should refrain from eating all kinds of grains.
However, some grains are perfectly compatible with a gluten-free diet, since they do not contain any gluten. These include:
People with gluten intolerance can enjoy these foods. However, we must bear in mind that many other foods may contain gluten, either as a main ingredient or by contamination during processing. This include:
- Concentrated broths
Discover: What Are the Main Food Intolerances?
A recipe for gluten-free granola bars
Oats are one of the best options for gluten-free granola bars. They’re rich in vegetable fats and proteins. Also, they have a high content of B vitamins and are rich in minerals such as magnesium, iron, sodium, and potassium.
Contrary to popular belief, oats do not contain any gluten. Oats do contain avenin, a protein that closely resembles the gluten protein, but it is not gluten. In fact, only 1% of people with celiac disease can’t consume oats.
Ingredients for granola bars
- 100 g of oats
- 60 g of walnuts
- 40 g of almonds
- 50 g of sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 100 g of dates
- 100 g of raisins
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- First, crush the nuts, almonds, and seeds together.
- Then, in another container, crush the dates and raisins and then add the nuts and seeds. This forms a sort of paste.
- Then, in a pot, heat the coconut oil a little. When it has cooled, add it to the mixture and mix everything very well.
- Next, spread the paste on a rectangular mold and cover everything. Flatten it well with the spoon.
- Then, put the mold in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- After it has finished cooling, cut it into bars of whatever size you prefer. The gluten-free granola bars are ready!
You may find this article interesting: 7 Steps to Following a Gluten-Free Diet
Another recipe for gluten-free granola bars
Ingredients for gluten-free granola bars
- 150 g of cereals like corn flakes
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 100 g of mixed seeds
- 50 g of raspberries
- First, crush the grains and add the seeds.
- Then, add the honey and mix everything very well.
- Next, wash the raspberries well and chop them up. Then, add them to the cereal, honey, and seed mixture.
- Now, spread the paste that has formed on to a rectangular mold. Then, flatten the mixture well with a spoon.
- Put the mold in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- When the mixture has cooled, cut it into rectangular bars of any size.
- Finally, enjoy them!
Now you know that the word “grain” does not necessarily mean it contains gluten. Therefore, if you’re gluten intolerant, you can still enjoy delicious granola bars. These bars are not only healthy, but they will give you more energy and are a great, nutritious snack!