How to Make Chickpea Curry with Basmati Rice
Nutritionists recommend eating vegetables three times a week. This chickpea curry recipe will please the whole family, so try it today.
Are you looking for an easy recipe that will add more vegetables to your family’s diet? Then you have to try this delicious chickpea curry with basmati rice recipe. It’s a very nutritious, tasty and comforting dish.
We’ll explain the recipe below, step by step. It’s an infallible recipe! Nobody can resist this particular flavor – not even children!
Chickpeas are rich in vegetable proteins, which makes them highly valued in vegetarian diets. In addition, they’re a source of soluble and insoluble fibers, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. As for the vitamins, vitamin E, vitamin B, and folate stick out the most.
Rice, on the other hand, provides vitamins B3 and B6, in addition to proteins.
The other main component of this recipe, curry, is known for its antioxidant properties, as well as the anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric.
Chickpea Curry, Step by Step
Preparation: Moderate to easy
Time needed: 40 minutes
- 400 g of cooked chickpeas
- 100 g basmati rice
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- Water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 10 g of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2 pods of green cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, optional, to taste
Preparation of Chickpea Curry
- Chop the onion julienne style. Put off to the side.
- Then, grate the tomatoes. Put off to the side.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan. When it’s hot, add the onion, cook over medium heat until brown.
- Grate the garlic and add it to the pan.
- Add the grated ginger. When the garlic brown, it’s time to add the tomatoes.
- Add the mustard seeds to the mixture and stir.
- Once the liquids have evaporated, add the curry and the chickpeas.
- Put the 100 ml of water into the pot as well and let it cook for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- While making the chickpea curry, place the other tablespoon of butter in another pot along with the cardamom and cloves. Let the spices roast a little. However, be careful not to burn them, because that would give them a bitter taste.
- Add the rice to the water. Then, cover the rice. It will gain twice the volume in the boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat, or as long as the package says. Salt and pepper.
- Serve the cooked rice with the chickpea curry on top. You can sprinkle some fresh coriander on top.
Read this article:Delicious Vegetable Soup Recipes
Variations of the Recipe
You can add other vegetables to the chickpea curry to increase its nutritional value.
- If you want, you can also add potatoes. In that case, we recommend cutting them into cubes of all the same size so that they cook evenly. Add them after frying the onion and garlic.
- Another good option is to add spinach or carrots to the dish. Clean the spinach well, chop the leaves and add them near the end of cooking, since they cook very quickly. As for the carrots, the best thing to do is add them together with the chickpeas, cut into cubes or slices, so that they catch the flavor of the dish.
- Do you like broccoli? You can also add that to the dish.
Other variations all depend on your preferences:
- To get an even creamier sauce, you can add coconut milk.
- Do you like spicy dishes? Try using chili pepper curry. You’ll love it!
- Decorate with a slice of lemon and give the dish a bit of an acidic touch.
This chickpea curry with basmati rice recipe is a vegetarian dish that will make anyone who tastes it fall in love. The texture of the rice and the chickpeas combine perfectly with curry and other spices.
Finally, don’t forget the bread, because everyone will want to dip it in the sauce!