How to Make Amazing, Crunchy Onion Rings
Frozen onion rings contain all kinds of preservatives and additives with names we can’t pronounce, so make them yourself at home where you can be sure they’ll be made with quality ingredients.
Onion rings are the perfect side for hamburgers and hot dogs. They’re really easy to make, too. You can serve them with any kind of sauce, though the most usual ones are ketchup or barbecue sauce.
Onion rings – ingredients
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup of flour (120 g)
- 1/4 tablespoon of baking powder (1 g)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tablespoon of paprika or chili powder (1 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk (200 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper (1 g)
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (120 g)
- 1 cup of sunflower oil (250 ml)
Onion rings – instructions
- First of all, peel the onion and slice it into rings about 1 centimeter thick. Separate the rings very carefully and set aside the large and medium-sized ones. These are the ones you’ll use in the recipe. Save the smaller ones for another recipe.
- Next, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and chili powder. Stir well and then coat each onion ring in the mixture, one by one. Shake each ring gently afterwards to get rid of excess flour.
- Now add the milk, pepper, and egg to the flour mixture. Beat until well-mixed and lump-free.
- Then coat each onion ring again with the mixture. Dip and then shake off the excess.
- Finally, coat them in the breadcrumbs (previously sprinkled on a plate).
Take a look at this article too:
Frying and finishing touches
- Once the onion rings are ready, fry them in a pan with plenty of hot oil. The secret is to use sunflower oil, which is less expensive than olive oil as well as more mild tasting. This way the onion’s flavor will really shine.
- Fry four at a time (depending on the size of your pan). Carefully flip them and make sure that they don’t burn.
- Then, when you notice them turning a pretty golden color, take them out of the oil and place onto paper towels for the extra oil to be absorbed.
Your delicious onion rings are ready! Make the barbecue sauce below as a final special touch.
You may be interested in this recipe too:
Homemade barbecue sauce
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of crushed tomatoes (125 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (5 g)
- 3 tablespoons of honey (50 g)
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar (45 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (2 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (2 g)
- 2 tablespoons of a cola soda (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (45 ml)
- To start, saute the onion and garlic (previously chopped) in oil. Then add the tomato, sugar, and vinegar.
- Stirring, add the rest of the ingredients little by little. The order doesn’t matter.
- Once everything is combined, continue cooking to reduce the liquid and make it thicker.
- As soon as you like the texture, add it to a blender and process until lump-free.
- If you would like a bit more spice, add a few drops of Tabasco sauce for a special flavor. However, this step is only for spice-lovers, because Tabasco is pretty strong.
- Lastly, let the sauce chill for a few hours in the refrigerator. This will allow the flavors to mix and turn into an amazing sauce for your onion rings.