How to Make a Passion Fruit Granita
A passion fruit granita, or one with any other fruit, is one of the best ways to refresh yourself and quench your thirst. More so, if you make it without sugar, it’s a perfect and healthy alternative to juices.
In addition, within this wonderful little fruit, there are lots of nutrients that will help your body function well every day. Also, you’ll be taking care of your well-being at the same time.
Its edible part is the pulp, along with the seeds it contains. It has a gelatinous consistency, and it can be either yellow, orange or purple, depending on the variety.
You can eat passion fruit fresh with a spoon. It’s also great for making more preparations, like juices, smoothies, sauces, jams, cakes, and other desserts.
We’ll show you a delicious passion fruit granita recipe below. Often, drinking plain water can be a bit boring, and you need to find some tastier alternatives. Here is the perfect solution.
What properties does passion fruit have?
The passion fruit belongs to the Passifloraceae family, which has more than 500 species in tropical and subtropical climates. Specifically, passion fruit is the most common variety around the world.
Appreciated for its extraordinary flavor, its great nutritional value and health benefits shouldn’t be forgotten. It’s becoming less and less necessary to remind ourselves of the importance of introducing the recommended servings of fruit and vegetables into the diet.
In passion fruit, there are carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins C and A, and the minerals potassium, manganese, phosphorus, and iron. Also, it contains interesting components like carotenes, flavonoids, and anthocyanins.
Some of these nutrients and elements give it lots of antioxidants. This means that they neutralize free radicals, which are associated with the appearance of some degenerative diseases and the aging of the body.
There are other great benefits that we can mention, such as:
- Scientific evidence shows that polyphenols have an immunomodulatory role in the body. Therefore, they can help prevent inflammatory diseases like obesity, type II diabetes, cardiovascular problems, and some types of cancer.
- Fiber helps keep the intestinal microbiota in good condition and prevent constipation. In addition, experts recommend introducing this fruit into the diet as a source of fiber. This is because eating it is related to a lower incidence of diabetes and obesity.
- Once in the body, the carotenes convert into vitamin A. This is especially important for the immune system, vision, and reproduction.
As a general rule, it’s safe to eat passion fruit, and most people can have it without any problems. However, we need to warn you of possible inconveniences.
On one hand, it’s possible to be allergic to it, especially if you’re allergic to latex. Cross reaction can be common. The most common symptoms are hives, itching, and skin redness.
Likewise, alkaloids and cyanogens with toxic effects can be in the skin and fruit that isn’t ripe. Because of this, it’s important to avoid green fruits.
Passion fruit granita recipe
It’s a perfect summer refreshment, as well as a way to drink water during the day to help stay hydrated.
- 4 passion fruit
- 1 cup of water
- 2 ripe and firm mangoes
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 lemon
Procedure to make a passion fruit granita
- Wash and peel the mangoes and cut them into several pieces. Peel the passion fruit and extract all the pulp.
- Clean and dry the lemon and grate the peel.
- Next, place the two fruits in a blender. Then, add the zest, water, and sugar. Blend for about 20 seconds until it’s thick and well combined.
- Pour it into a sealable container and freeze for 2 hours.
- After the time has passed, mix the fruit slush again and refrigerate for 5 more hours.
- Remove the granita about 20 minutes before serving. To serve it, break it up with the help of a fork, and pour it into individual glasses.
If you want a sugar-free version, there are other ways to sweeten this drink, such as with stevia. You could also try a recipe without any sugar, just using the sweetness of the ingredients.
There are other tropical fruits that combine very well with passion fruit, so you can make lots of different types of slushies. Try it with pineapple, coconut, lemon, or papaya!
Keep reading to learn more: Learn How to Make a Delicious Strawberry Watermelon Slushie
Enjoy your passion fruit granita
Before making any recipe in the kitchen, you need to prepare all the ingredients. In this case, the main ingredients are fruits. Therefore, choosing the perfect pieces is one of the keys to having a successful granita.
When buying them, it’s best to opt for specimens that are heavier, since this is a sign that the pulp is in good condition. The skin shouldn’t have bumps, green spots, or discolorations (it’s almost always green or yellow).
Fruits with wrinkled skin are ready to eat, and it’s best to do so in the shortest time possible. It’s best to keep them in the fridge. On the contrary, if the skin is smooth, you should keep it at room temperature so that it ripens and sweetens.
You can enjoy a passion fruit granita (alone or with other fruits) at any time of day. If you want to drink it as a regular drink, it’s best to prepare it without sugar.
We invite you to always have it on hand to give your guests a delicious refreshment. It goes great with a snack, or as a substitute for an alcoholic cocktail.