How to Choose the Right Curtains for Your Home
People devote a lot of attention to planning, analyzing, and choosing all the details of their homes. These are key aspects to shape a space that suits their tastes and include, of course, choosing the right curtains.
Curtains have specific functions, such as making the place more pleasant. Also, the diversity of styles allows them to be used to make combinations, match other accessories and highlight colors or details. They can even be used to focus the attention of visitors.
Choosing the right curtains is also essential to protecting against sunlight that can filter through the windows and affect comfort, especially when darkness is necessary for deep rest. They’re ideal for finding tranquility, privacy, and security.
Tips for choosing the right curtains
As such an important element for the decoration of a home there’s more and more variety in the styles of curtains on the market.
Because of this, it’s important to note that it’s best not to resort to buying anything just for the sake of it. Rather, take time to analyze and consider all the determining factors.
Here are some tips for making the right choice.
1. Determine the main purpose of the curtain
To choose the right curtains, you need to think about the main task of this new element. This is because there may be different objectives:
- Expanding the decor and preserving a style. That is, to make the curtain reinforce the idea of a modern, traditional, or rustic space.
- Highlighting a certain part of the space.
- Illuminating an opaque room.
- Counteracting the light in a space that’s too bright and uncomfortable.
- Helping to maintain or extend the temperature of the space.
Also, at this point, it’s important to clarify that not all curtains in the house have to be the same, because, in each space, there may be different needs.
2. Measurements are important
Before the purchase of curtains, a measurement of the windows should be made. This step should always be performed. That way, all the glass is covered, the look is intentional, and the curtains fit your needs.
At the same time, by knowing the measurements, you can also buy the correct rods to hang the curtains. This aspect is sometimes overlooked, but it’s key to avoid purchasing rods that are too short or not entirely resistant.
Continue reading: Ideas for a Cozy and Welcoming Home
3. The choice of color
Choosing the color is one of the most important points when deciding on the right curtains, as it’s a very noticeable factor that can help highlight the place or take away from its harmony.
To make a good choice, we recommend selecting a color tone that’s in the same range of the walls, sofas, or cushions. In fact, you can use the same color as the walls when you want everything to work as a whole.
However, another alternative is to select a color that contrasts with the color of the walls and furniture, to play a pleasing trick on the eyes. This option is successful as long as the right combinations are selected.
4. Selecting the right style
There are multiple types of curtains, with different fabrics and textures. Each of them best suits a need. That’s why it’s important to recognize them to obtain a matching result:
- Silk fabrics are the most suitable when the priority is decoration. This type of curtain gives a touch of elegance and modernity.
- Cotton is ideal for decorating while preserving a more natural than serious style. Also, it’s essential if you want to help maintain or raise the temperature of your house.
- Sheer fabrics are for when you want to let some sunlight into the room, but at the same time, maintain privacy and security. This type of curtains is widely used in bedrooms during daylight hours.
- Thick fabric or velvet can be in demand for bedrooms, especially so that, at night, your curtains don’t allow light in and you can sleep comfortably. You can put these fabrics in front of a sheer curtain so that the place isn’t dark all the time.
5. Define a good height and arrangement to choose the right curtains
You should take into account that, as far as possible, the curtain should be installed from a good height. It’s best to do it almost from the ceiling so that the whole space acquires amplitude.
The curtains can never be short because, aesthetically, this won’t achieve a good look. At the same time, as a result of that empty space, some intense light could make its way in, producing discomfort.
We recommend that your curtains graze the floor. You can even allow some excess length to make the window look bigger and more modern.
Plan and choose the right curtains for your home
You should never improvise on the measurements, because you may end up buying a curtain that doesn’t meet the width and length requirements.
If you want to include a more daring style, you can buy curtains with prints. However, you want to avoid an excess of shapes and patterns that overload the space.
If there are many textures throughout the space, we recommend using plain curtains to combine and balance the space. As you may have noticed, it’ll all depend on the surroundings of the curtains themselves to determine whether or not they suit the space you’re decorating.It might interest you...