How to Avoid Catching and Spreading Coronavirus
Information on how to avoid catching and spreading the coronavirus infection is literally going viral. Even though the risk is low in many countries, it's still a good idea to be aware of the best measures to reduce the risk of contracting it.
The world has been learning about the multiple cases of people infected with the coronavirus disease in recent weeks. Unfortunately, it’s led to a tragic outcome in people with a compromised immune system. So, we must learn how to avoid catching and spreading coronavirus.
What is COVID-19?
Coronaviruses are a family of unknown origin and there are different types. In addition, they’re responsible for various diseases, from a simple common cold to severe pneumonia. Similarly, it can lead to respiratory failure in its most severe form.
The first cases of a new type of coronavirus were detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. Since then, its spread from infected people to healthy people has been dramatic.
Currently, there are more than 119,000 people infected and 4,284 of these cases resulted in death. However, even though the number of people with a confirmed coronavirus diagnosis is very high, the mortality is currently low.
You may be interested: Learn All about Chest Pain
What are its symptoms?
The coronavirus infection usually produces symptoms that are similar to those of the common flu. Some of them are:
- Runny nose
- General discomfort
- Muscle pain
- Runny nose
- Fever and chills
- Sore throat and headache
The infection can be asymptomatic or may manifest through the general symptoms we mentioned above or lead to complications such as pneumonia or respiratory failure — in the most severe cases.
Generally, the more serious cases occur in the most vulnerable members of the population which include the elderly, and people with a weak immune system.
How does it spread?
One of the main reasons for alarm is due to the fact that the virus can spread from person to person. In fact, it can, in more rare cases, spread before an infected person manifests any symptoms.
Also, there’s currently no specific treatment for curing this disease, nor medication or vaccine against it. Thus, it’s very important to take some precautionary measures that can hinder its transmission as much as possible.
It may interest you: How the Flu Affects the Body
Some measures to avoid catching and spreading coronavirus
Some of the measures you can take in order to avoid spreading and contracting this and other types of viruses are:
- Avoid close contact with infected people
- Maintain adequate hygiene, even though hygiene care is relevant in general, you must pay special attention to proper handwashing
- Maintain a distance of approximately one meter with others
- Use masks following the specific instructions for each type in places where the disease is most prevalent
- Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue when coughing and sneezing
Handwashing is one of the best measures to avoid coronavirus
Proper handwashing is a proven, effective, and inexpensive way to reduce the spread of bacteria and viruses. The procedure for proper handwashing is:
- Wet your hands
- Apply a dab of soap
- Rub your palms together
- Then, rub the palm of your right hand against the back of your left-hand, interlacing your fingers, and vice-versa
- Rub the palms of your hands together and interlock your fingers
- Wash the back of the fingers of one hand against the palm of the opposite hand while holding them together
- Wash your thumbs individually
- Rub the tips of your fingers
- Rinse your hands
- Dry your hands with a single-use towel or a clean towel
- Turn off the faucet with the towel
It’s important to remain calm and trust in the efficiency and speed of our health systems.
Even so, you must follow these preventive measures, especially if you travel to countries where there’s a high prevalence of infection.